Letter: Speak in people-first terms

This letter is piggybacking off of the editorial “Iowa City bar offends public in careless act.” I applaud the editorial board’s frank discussion on our propensity to include offensive language in our everyday conversations. I would like to bring light to a word that was omitted, but have no intention of taking away the seriousness of the example words given in the editorial.

Many of us are familiar with the “R-word,” but for those who may not be, it refers to the word “retard” or “retarded.” Every first Wednesday of March, Spread the Word to End the Word, a campaign aimed at raising awareness about the hurtfulness of the “R word”, is held. While certainly commendable, the gravity of the misuse of this word has been severely undermined.

Historically, “mental retardation” has been employed as a medical diagnosis. “Retard”, via a quick Merriam-Webster dictionary search, means to slow up especially by hindering advance or accomplishment. However, these words have taken on a whole new, and ugly, meaning as they are used as a way to insult someone; a synonym for “dumb” or “stupid”. By using these insults as a way to degrade those without disabilities, those with disabilities are made to feel lesser, unequal members of society.

As a result, “mental retardation” is no longer a suitable term. Many organizations, such as Best Buddies and Special Olympics, have eliminated the use of such descriptions. Instead, they use updated terminology like “a person with a developmental disability”. But merely changing from the “R-word” to a newer parlance is not enough. In twenty years, another new word will be needed. So what can you do to make a lasting impact?

By using people-first language, we focus on the person and their abilities before we acknowledge that they have a disability. Utilizing people-first language allows us to identify with a person as an equal human being, rather than by their inferiority due to a disability. Start saying “a person with autism” instead of an “autistic person.”

Even on Iowa State’s registration page, the wording is “Disabled student” instead of “a student with a disability.” If a formal Iowa State website still communicates like this, imagine how our student population talks in normal day conversation. I challenge all students and faculty to start using people-first language in all your conversations. Whether you are talking about sexual orientation, mental disabilities, or political views, let’s turn the focus from what makes a person different to what brings us all together: human beings seeking equal social status.