Cyber Security

Richard Martinez/Iowa State Daily

ISU President Steven Leath interacts with Sen. Chuck Grassley at the National Cyber Security Alliance event Sept. 4. Grassley spoke in the Scheman Building, addressing the issue of cybersecurity and the responsibility of protecting one’s sensitive information.

This year, account hacking has been at its peak. All over campus, students are constantly logging into apps such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and accessing homework assignments and financial aid through Blackboard and Accessplus. It’s so simple, just type in your user name and password and get the information at your fingertips almost instantly.

But what happens when simplicity becomes overrun by advancements in technology? Hackers want your personal information, whether it’s for money, your identity, or personal gain. In a world of endless possibilities for technology advancement, security is now more relevant than ever before.

The Cyber Security Alliance held a event on cyber security in the Scheman building today. The goal of the event was to bring to attention the importance of cyber security and spread the word on a new online safety concept: two-step authentication.

“There is no definitive answer to complete online security,” said Senator Charles Grassley, a featured guest at the event, “There is a tremendous flaw in cyber security and there has to be a great deal of flexibility and a working relationship between the government and the private sector in order to come to a solution.”

Iowa State’s President Steven Leath also spoke at the event, suggesting that higher education in the cyber security field would be a key component in the solution to defending the nation’s cyberspace. One of the new and effective ways of protecting one’s personal accounts is by what the Alliance calls 2-step authentication.

“A password alone is not enough in today’s world. 2-step authentication is a secure way to insure your online accounts’ safety.” Said Kristin Judge, the program leader.

2-step authentication is a safety feature that goes above and beyond a password. When an individual logs into their account, they are not only required to type in their password, but also to have a short-term security code sent to their phones that they type in along with their password.

Judge strongly suggests that people use the feature for their bank accounts, email, paypal and other various websites that contain important information.

“This is an ongoing problem we have to work with,” said Grassley, “The problem with today’s technology is that we share so much-maybe too much- private information online. It’s a fact of life. We all have to be diligent to protect ourselves.”

Grassley also mentioned that not updating online security procedures regularly could have a devastating impact on the economy, both locally and nationally. Doug Jacobson, director of the information assurance center at Iowa State mentions that the university is now offering a 100-level class to students on cyber security.

“We have several undergraduate programs focused on cyber security,” said Jacobson, “we train hundreds of students in the area of Cyber security. We also outreach to high school students and community colleges to become educated on the topic.”

Karen Postma, AVP of fraud operations and assesment management, pointed the listeners ahead to the near future years where bio mechanics such as fingerprint and voice recognition, which used to be only used by the government, could come into play.

The elderly and children are among the most targeted victims by hackers on the web. These groups are found to be more often deceived by pop-ups online, convincing fraud emails, fraud trial offers, and harmful download applications.

“I think that students can also be harmed as well,” said Ann Black, AARP Iowa Associate State Director for Communications, “many students do not take the time needed to learn what they can do to protect themselves online.”

Students are encouraged to visit and use the resources listed on the Stop Think Connect website and use the tools that other organizations are recommending for internet safety.