Marching Band Information

Brian Achenbach/Iowa State Daily

The ISU marching band performs before kickoff during the Bit 12 matchup between the Cyclones and the Texas Longhorns on Oct. 3 at Jack Trice Stadium.

Max Dible

The ISU marching band, also known as the Iowa State University Cyclone Football “Varsity” Marching Band, or ISUCF”V”MB, traces its origins all the way back to a concert band on campus in 1881. In 1928, it performed in its first band competition, which was part of the Drake Relays in Des Moines.

The band continues its illustrious tradition to this day, and every student has the opportunity to become a part of it.

To register, students need only inform their advisers of an interest in the band and sign up for Music 114A when they register for classes.

Potential band members must also fill out the membership form, which can be found online at www.music.iastate.edu/org/marching.

Band members generally meet five times a week for roughly 80 minutes per day between 4:30 and 5:50 p.m. There are also rehearsals on the mornings of ISU home football games, which run for approximately an hour and a half.

The marching band is flexible to students’ academic schedules. First-year members are allowed to miss one rehearsal per week due to academic conflicts. Students with more than one year of experience as band members are afforded two absences per week.

Work conflicts and personal conflicts are not excused, however.

The cost to students amounts to a fee of $45 for uniforms, uniform cleaning and other various concerns. A $15 fee is required to obtain a locker in Music Hall.

Band members are also required to provide their own white gloves and black leather shoes as well as their own instruments. If a student does not own an instrument, he or she may rent one from the university for a fee.

The marching band performs at all ISU home football games as well as in the annual Band Extravaganza in Stephens Auditorium. The band also travels to bowl games.