Gift ideas for graduates

Saige Heyer

By the end of their college career, most graduates have accrued a plethora of “stuff,” but they may not have everything they need to venture out on their own and may need some help adding to their long list of possessions.

Here are both practical and fun ideas as to what to get for your favorite graduate.

Stationery set

Even if the graduate hasn’t landed a job yet, a stationery set including business cards, letterhead and envelopes are a great idea. You can have their resume printed as well.

Doing this for the graduate will help them in their job search or kick off their new job in style.

Office supplies

Along with a stationery set, you can also get the basic office supplies to help them start their own home office or add to the one they’ve already got.

Kitchen supplies

It is probably a safe bet that no matter if a student lived in the dorms — or in an apartment with friends — their entire academic career, there are some things they’ll need for their new kitchen.

Tupperware containers for leftovers or bringing their lunch to work are always a must-have.

Replacing anything the graduate already has that is worn out would be a good idea, too.

Luggage set

If your graduate will be traveling after graduation or moving far away for their new job, getting them a new luggage set will help them tote along their things.

Having a luggage set with different sizes of luggage will also help when it comes time for them to travel for work or get away for the weekend.

Home furnishings

Such as with the kitchen supplies, there may be a few pieces of furniture your graduate is missing after dividing their belongings from their roommate’s.

If they have had the same bed for quite some time, buying a new bed set when they get where they’re going would be a nice way to help them relax in their new place.

Moving service

With all the new kitchen supplies and home furnishings piling up, helping rent a truck or hiring a moving company would be a great way to help a graduate start their new journey.

Career attire

A new career is sometimes cause for a new wardrobe, especially if a student has been getting by in class in their sweats.

Take the graduate shopping to get a few new suits or some new business casual outfits. If their new career requires a uniform, help pitch in for the cost of the uniforms if they have to pay out-of-pocket for them.

Briefcase

Getting the graduate a briefcase to go with their new career attire is a great way to accessorize and make sure they’re not still carrying everything in their backpack.

Foreign language classes

In today’s world, knowing a foreign language can come in handy. If the graduate wants to further study a foreign language, or learn a new one, foreign language lessons would be a great gift. You can either find someone who teaches it or purchase a program like Rosetta Stone.

Tablet or laptop

If your student has an older laptop or tablet — or doesn’t have either yet — take them in to pick one out that works the best for them.

If they already have a tablet or laptop, see if there are any applications or programs they would like that you can purchase for them.

Personalized items

You can personalize just about anything these days from jewelry to drinkware to common household items.

Many of the things listed in this article can be personalized.

Gift cards

Parents are constantly getting college students gift cards to various places, which comes in handy living on a budget.

Starting out on your own after graduation is no different when it comes to having to budget. Gift cards will help you keep track of where you can spend your money and what you can buy with them.