Letter: Rec services offers no grace for lost card

Have you looked at the backside of your ISU ID card lately? I suggest you flip it over and read through it now. I am giving you this warning because one phrase hidden there among the rest of the fine print — “This card is non-transferable” — is apparently an implicit agreement to receive punitive treatment at the drop of a hat.

I’ll explain my run-in with the fine print. Over Easter weekend, I visited home, as I’m sure many students did. Unfortunately, in my frenzy to pack up and leave for Ames on time, I left my wallet at home. Anyone can understand why this is a hassle and ISU students will understand why the problem might be compounded. That ISU ID card in my wallet acts as more than just an ID. That card is my meal ticket, my bus pass, my library card, my access key to my residence hall and my laundry tokens. For some students, it’s even their punch card for timing in and out of work shifts. Perhaps the biggest commitment, some students even use their ID card as a debit card hooked up directly to their bank account. It’s not easy to survive on campus without it and losing it is a stressful event, as anyone who has lost theirs knows.

I was going to receive my wallet in the mail as soon as it could be shipped, so I didn’t bother to get a new ID printed. It would take significant effort, but most problems could be worked around. I didn’t have any exams until finals, so I didn’t desperately need the library to study. I could walk to classes and didn’t need to take a bus off campus for any reason. I could stay in my dorm room once the halls were locked and use the main doors during the day. There was even a simple solution for dining: using ISU Webfood. Although it is generally required to show your ID when picking up Webfood, the student workers were understanding when I explained that I had left my wallet at home, and showing the email with my order number sufficed.

Unfortunately, ISU Rec Services is not as forgiving. When I have a rough day — and losing your ID leads to a rough day — I like to deal out the pent up stress at the gym. It’s a constructive way to get rid of unwanted aggression. My girlfriend likes to encourage me going to the gym for any reason, and not only wanted to work out with me that night, but also kindly asked her younger sister if we could borrow her ID. This is when that “non-transferable” problem comes into play. Being unaware of that fine print warning, I thought it would be simple enough to swipe through the turnstile at State Gym, burn a few calories for half an hour and then go to sleep more relaxed.

I had taken fewer than three steps into State Gym when I was asked to come over to the front desk. The attendant asked to see the ID card I was using. As I handed it to him, I explained openly that I was borrowing a friend’s ID because I had left mine at home, although I had paid my Rec Services fee [as all students do automatically on their U-bill]. The student worker informed me that this was against policy. I apologized for unknowingly breaking this rule and said I’d head home. However, that’s not enough for ISU Rec Services. It is their policy to act harshly on this first-strike offense. The card was confiscated and would not be returned until a supervisor was able to handle the matter. Since this all occurred at 11 in the evening, it was obvious there would be no quick solution.

I was already going through a world of hurt because I didn’t have my ID card. Now, through the insignificant actions of a single card swipe, a second student would be without their ID. Because I had wanted to work out for 30 minutes and even though once explained to me, I understood and was willing to leave, because of that simple mistake now a 19-year-old girl would have her gym pass confiscated. This might be understandable if it was just a gym pass and wasn’t also her only access to the library, her job, clean clothes, food, mobility and shelter on campus. The punishment was and is completely mismatched to the “crime.”

I should also note that before writing this opinion piece, I thought I’d take the mature action and talk to the Rec Services Administration Office first. After explaining my situation and why I felt the punishment was a bit severe, they joyfully confirmed that ISU Rec Services did indeed think it was a perfectly acceptable punishment. They then went on to add that in addition to the card confiscation, when my friend finally did come to retrieve her card, she would have to sit down with a supervisor, receive a lecture on card use and finally there would be a warning affixed to her account for the remainder of her time at ISU.

Don’t make the same mistake I did, fellow ISU students. Be wary of the fine print on the back of your ID card and read the small notifications posted around campus. Otherwise the “services” here at Iowa State are all too happy to help you get burned.