ISU outreach educates on health insurance

Family finance specialists from ISU Extension and Outreach are hosting dozens of Smart Choice workshops, like this one in Shenandoah, to educate Iowans about health insurance.

Courtesy of Iowa State University

Julie Paulson

Iowa State University Outreach now offers Smart Choice workshops to educate people on the Affordable Care Act and various types of insurance plans.

These workshops will be held in various libraries and outreach locations across the state and will help people examine and understand various insurance plans. There is no pre-registration for the workshops, which are conducted by 11 family finance specialists.

“The workshops are two hours long and start off by teaching basic concepts about health insurance,” said Suzanne Bartholomae, state extension to families specialist and adjunct professor of human development and family studies. “Then the course looks at a case study … and takes concepts that people can apply to their own lives.”

Several workshops have already been held, and workshops will continue to be held until March 31, when registration for federal insurance closes.

“There is information on the Affordable Care Act as well,” Bartholomae said.

Bartholomae also said they’d provide more information on pre-existing conditions, how to compare plans when shopping around, where to go for insurance and places people can go for care.

The workshops are part of a larger campaign to educate the public, particularly young people, about insurance.

The campaign has utilized social media, student services, posters, informational brochures and webinars. All workshops are free of charge and aim to help people make the right choices for them and their families and situations in regards to health care while also educating them on the Affordable Care Act.

“It is relevant to students for sure,” Bartholmae said. “They can now stay on their parents’ insurance plans until they’re 26 years old, even if they are no longer students, are no longer financially dependent on their parents or are married. Student plans have improved to cover preventative care, pregnancy and prescriptions.”

According to the program and statistics issued by the White House, young adults have the most people in their age group uninsured, have the lowest rate of employer-based insurance and nearly half of uninsured young adults have trouble paying medical bills.

“The Iowa Health and Wellness Plan has seen increased numbers of young people,” Bartholomae said. “New tax credits are being offered, along with emergency plans for people under 30 years old that have lower premiums, but higher deductibles.”

The program is funded through a grant by the Iowa Insurance Division. While the program is currently directed at community colleges, Bartholomae said that the program will soon be extended to Iowa State, the University of Iowa and the University of Northern Iowa, as well.

For details about upcoming workshops, visit the Iowa State University Extension and Outreach webpage and search by county or under the Family Finances section of the webpage. For details about federal health insurance or to register for federal insurance, visit www.healthcare.gov.