Guest column: Run for student government

As the Director of Student Diversity for the Government of the Student Body, I am proud to say that we have achieved quite a few milestones as a student organization in terms of creating and participating in projects that encourage all students to run or apply for positions in GSB. Some projects such as having the ‘Conversations on Campus Diversity’ column in the Iowa State Daily has helped me and other GSB leaders identify issues related to diversity across campus.

We also formed the GSB Student Diversity Committee which helps us act on diversity issues across campus through various projects. This committee is comprised of two senators and five other student members. Our major project for Spring 2014 is to host a ‘Diversity Resources Fair’ to acquaint incoming and current students with the resources offered through various departments across campus.

One of the great advantages of being involved with GSB is that you get to contribute to the betterment of the whole student body and have the resources to put your ideas into action. As an international student and a woman, I believe that I bring a diverse perspective to this student organization which is mutually beneficial.

Spring 2014 offers multiple opportunities for you to get involved with GSB. If you are interested in getting involved, there will be informational sessions on Dec. 5 at 8:30 p.m. in the Gold Room of the Memorial Union. If you cannot make it at that time, there will be additional sessions on January 20 and 23 at 7 p.m. in room 3512 of the Memorial Union. Another way you can get information is by participating in the Campaign College 2014 Workshop which will be held on Jan. 18 from 1 to 5:30 p.m. in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.

In the introductory column, I had mentioned that the representation of the diversity on our campus should also reflect in the leadership of our student organizations. I firmly believe that students have the most powerful voice on this campus. GSB needs you to exercise that power and make Iowa State the campus to gain the best academic and student life experience ever.