Bottled water sales on campus up for discussion

Leah Degraaf

University and student administrators are currently discussing whether or not bottled water will continue to be sold on campus. The Government of the Student Body voted to support a resolution to remove bottled waters at Iowa State.

ActivUs, a student organization “committed to achieving environmental and social justice” at Iowa State, first presented the idea to GSB as well as ISU Dining Services.

Jared Knight, GSB president, said the ultimate goal is to reduce the consumption of plastic water bottles, and at this point there is no specific time line for the resolution.

“There are a lot of issues we are going to have to address before we can make a change,” Knight said. “Hopefully, the idea is for students to buy a permanent durable water bottle so they don’t have to continually be buying water bottles.”

Last year, ISU Dining sold 168,306 bottles of water at approximately $1.25 a bottle, bringing in more than $200,000 in revenue. Cutting bottled water sales at Iowa State, said Nancy Levandowski, the director of campus dining services, could ultimately raise the cost of other drinks sold on campus.

Knight admitted the plan raised some concerns.

“I also think it presents a problem for visiting families if they are looking to buy water on campus,” Knight said.

Before bottled water is removed from campus, certain issues need to be addressed and specific questions need to be answered, Levandowski said. Some of her concerns include:

– Potential price increase due to loss of sales.

– Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield supports water drinking, so removing bottled water does not support the Blue Zones Project.

– Having to carry a bottle or even having to purchase a bottle at a cost of $10 or more is inconvenient.

– Many students may simply buy bottled water off campus and still bring them on to campus and throw them away in campus trash cans.

– Water will need to be readily available on campus for students in some way. Are there enough water fountains around campus?

– What products are included? Will it be all forms of water including flavored water or mineral water?

– Guests buy bottled water when visiting Iowa State. Will water still be given on campus tours?

– Many clubs and student organizations sell bottled water. Will they be told they cannot sell water during Veishea and other fundraisers?

“Students rank for us the things they value,” Knight said. “Price being one, the next is convenience and flexibility, then quality, and we are talking about an impact to all of those, so I am not looking at it as being really positive. But I am trying to make sure I get enough information so students can make a good decision about which way they would like to go.”

Joey Norris, off-campus GSB senator and senior in aerospace engineering, said that before Iowa State can get rid of water bottles, the university has to put in place a program to sell cost-efficient water bottles for students to buy.

When Levandowski talked with food directors from other universities that have implemented the removal of bottle water, the conversation has been that they also have placed more water fountains or other types of water dispensers around their campus.

Norris encouraged students to get in touch with ISU Dining or contact him about their thoughts on the issue.

“This is our opportunity to do something that won’t be detrimental,” Norris said.

For the past few years, ISU Dining has handed out red refillable water bottles to students with meal plans. In order to save money this next year, ISU Dining will not be handing out these bottles. Levandowski said handing out these reusable water bottles had no effect on the sale of bottled water.

“For most students, convenience wins,” Levandowski said.

In her opinion, the final decision is up to students.

“I totally hear sustainability is a big deal and if there is any proponent for it is me, but I just want to make sure that they do it well-educated as to what the implications of it are,” Levandowski said.

This summer, the five-year contracts for beverage vendors expire, and Levandowski plans on asking for bids from Pepsi, Coke and Dr. Pepper that include bottled water and do not include bottled water. By July, the new contracts will be signed with each company, but her plan is to make sure if GSB decides to remove bottled water from campus that these contacts allow for flexibility.

“Let students vote. If they don’t buy the water, I won’t sell it. It is that simple,” Levandowski said.