Letter to the editor: Everyone needs a global perspective

Sarah Baugh

The recent letter from Austin Langfeldt brought up an issue that I think is rarely addressed but very prevalent on Iowa State’s campus: the welcoming of international students.

Over the past three years, I have been involved in various organizations whose purposes were to help international students become more at home here at Iowa State. Through these clubs, I have had the privilege to meet students from almost every continent. They are here in the United States for various reasons, but every one of them has shared a common desire to know Americans as friends. Unfortunately, many American students don’t want to take the trouble to meet international students.

We don’t want to change the way we talk with each other so that international students can understand and participate. Cultural differences are considered barriers for friendship and not opportunities for growth. We are socially too lazy to make any changes that promote inclusivity. It’s easier to be friends with people like us, so that is exactly what we do. The argument is often made that international students only hang around each other. Could that be true because those are the only people who welcome them?

I would advocate taking the road less traveled. My friendships with international students have taken more work to develop, but they are worth it. Some of my closest friends are from different continents, and through our friendships, I have learned so much about the world. Langfeldt said that international students come to the United States because they want to gain a global perspective on things. Perhaps international students aren’t the only ones who can gain a global perspective. I would encourage all students to step outside their cultural comfort zones and try and meet someone new. I know that it’s worth it.