Administrators prepare for search for dean of students

Tommie Clark

Although many ISU students have never encountered or even heard of the Dean of Student Affairs, this important position is currently vacant and will soon be filled by a new dean.

How does this pertain to students? This position dictates everything having to do with ISU students.

“The dean’s responsibilities include not only supervision and vision-setting, but sitting on a variety of committees and being a visible supporter of and advocate for students on campus,” said Michelle Boettcher, assistant dean and director of Judicial Affairs. “Attendance at student events and engagement with student leaders is essential to the success of any Dean of Students. The dean works with student organizations and individual students to insure the lines of communication are open between students and administration and that the student voice is represented and heard.”

The position handles everything from student issues, like needing help dealing with a grade appeal to what you’re involved in such as Greek Affairs; the Margaret Sloss Women’s Center; Student Legal Services; special populations like those that require special needs; international students; and recreational services. The Dean of Student Affairs is the one responsible for it all.

“Essentially, the Dean of Students Office helps facilitate out-of-class learning and development of students as well as partnering with academics to provide support for students,” Boettcher said. “The dean specifically is responsible for oversight of each of these areas. He or she provides vision and guidance to each unit and facilitates collaboration with these areas across the university.”

Dione Somerville was the past position holder and left the position after being selected as vice president of Student Affairs at Bloomsburg University. She left Iowa State on June 30, and since then different faculty have temporarily taken over her position.

From July 1 to Oct. 1, Thomas Hill served as interim dean of Student Affairs. Beginning Oct. 1, James Dorset stepped in to replace Hill as interim dean. The plan is to pull together a search committee late this fall and have them look at the job description and advertisement and decide what changes need to be made.

They will then start advertising this spring, set a time for early March to begin to review applications by April, and ideally select three to five people to bring to campus for interviews. The interviews will be during April and hopefully the selection will be made and a new dean will be on board by the target date of July 1.

“I’m looking forward to the new dean,” said Hill, vice president for Student Affairs. “It’s a good position as well as a good professional move for those who are seeking to move up in administrative ranks in student affairs. Those in the dean of Student Affairs position have moved on to be vice presidents of different colleges and even a president of a college in one case.”

This is all very important because the dean interacts as a front line for university administrators, dealing with student issues on a daily basis. Other advisers do too, but the Student Affairs Office interfaces with a lot of people in lot of ways.

“I’ve never even heard of the dean of Student Affairs, but now that I know what it is, I’m glad I now know where to go when I have an issue,” said Maddy Wilhelm, sophomore in pre-journalism and mass communication.

For example, the primary focus for the Department of Residence is providing living accommodations for students, but it doesn’t interface as extensively as the dean of Student Affairs Office does. The dean of students is involved with all students, not just those living in the dorms.

“We need a good dean. It’s a very critical position dealing with emergencies, and other circumstances. ISU has a tradition of having excellent deans,” Hill said.

Feedback is also important in this long process. The new dean of Student Affairs will be taking on a huge commitment and become a leader in the ISU community.

“I think it’s a very critical position, one we would like broad campus involvement in the selection process and in the interviewing. We need feedback from people with regards to their opinions of the candidates. That would be very, very important,” Hill said.

Students overall should know they can get involved with this process. This is a campus-wide position that does take time.

“In addition, it is important for students, faculty and staff to know that a search for a permanent dean of students will take place over the course of the next year,” Boettcher said. “There will be opportunities to be a part of this process and everyone with an interest should look for additional information on how they can participate and ask questions in order to select the best candidate to serve students and support Iowa State University.”