International Student Council hosts food fair Saturday

John Lonsdale

How would you like some “drunken spaghetti”? A green onion pancake? Or maybe you would like to try a meat pie?

Students will have the chance to try these different food dishes and experience the cultures of ISU students Saturday at the International Food Fair.

“This is one of the best chances to get to know a culture,” said Ashvin Sudhaharan, events coordinator for the International Student Council and senior in marketing. “You can tell a lot about a country by the ingredients [they use] and the style of serving.”

Seventeen student organizations are represented this year that span the globe. 

“In conjunction with VEISHEA [and] celebrating Iowa State, this is a very big part of Iowa State,” Sudhaharan said. 

Proceeds from tickets sold before and at the event will be distributed in three ways; ISC will use the money for a scholarship awarded every fall semester during International Night, reimbursement for some of the ingredients used during the Food Fair and give some money to the participating student organizations.

Each student group submitted its recipes to ISC at the beginning of the spring semester.

In order to participate, the groups must be in line with ISU Dining’s guidelines of taking a food safety course, using ethnic ingredients, managing cooking times, cooking in ISU Dining’s kitchens and the deadlines and helping with recipe submissions.

The groups were required by ISC to attend regular food fair meetings and later were given private meetings with their ISU Dining chef. 

Because of the popularity among ISU students, faculty and the Ames community, students have the interesting task of creating a large amount of food.

“[They’re] taking a two-people recipe and making it for 500,” Sudhaharan said. “That kind of changes some things.”