Letter: Pedestrian safety is your responsibility

Letter writer Jamie Barker warns parents to remind their students to look both ways and pay attention when crossing the street. She believes that although pedestrians have right-of-way on a college campus, they still need to watch out for cars because they can’t stop at a split-second.

This fall an ISU student, Jonathan Brown, was hit by a car while walking back to his vehicle after a football game. Jonathan died from of his injuries. While crossing South 16th Street, Jonathan was hit when he entered the westbound lane.

Derek Haskin was never charged because people were crossing illegally. His death swept through campus, deadening the joy of the Cyclone victory that weekend. These types of accidents happen too often, affecting the family of the victims and the drivers involved. Many students have not learned from the horrific accident that happened to Jonathan, continuing to cross streets around campus illegally and dangerously.

Obviously Jonathan’s death affected his family, something many students may not be thinking of. The toll Jonathan’s death had is apparent in the Iowa State Daily article “Jonathan Brown Remembered” by Kaitlin York. In the article, Jonathan’s father, Phillip, says “he’s had no worse feeling than emptying out [Jonathan’s] room.” One can only imagine the pain his father was feeling as he packed his son’s belongings. Jonathan had four siblings as well that will no longer feel his presence. Pedestrians of Iowa State need to realize that they are not just putting their lives in the balance but the well-being of their family. Their feelings and happiness need to be considered before crossing the street dangerously.

The driver that hit Jonathan, Derek Haskin, was deeply impacted by the accident. Ms. York wrote another article in the Daily from his perspective entitled “Derek Haskin shares aftermath experience after hitting Jonathan Brown with vehicle.” Derek hit Jonathan while swerving to miss pedestrians crossing illegally. Derek said he went home and cried that night. Three days after the accident Derek found out he had hit an ISU student and “killed” him. The family set up a blog about Jonathan’s condition that Derek followed. Derek describes his life after Jonathan’s death as “a question mark.” He has spent nights pacing his apartment and, at the time the article was written, had not returned to class, worrying what his peers think of him.

Derek is having trouble sleeping and eating. His life is in shambles. The worst part is Derek is innocent. He was obeying the law and doing the right thing. It is simply his poor luck that brought him to this horrible situation. This situation shows a jaywalker’s mistake will not only ruin their life but the life of the person that hits them. They are only the epicenter of the ripple that will ensue because of an instant of crude decision making.

Situations like this happen much more often than they need to. According to data compiled by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 842 people died in “improper crossing of intersections,” the leading cause of pedestrian death. Other relevant ways the pedestrians die are the failure to yield to the right of way (662), darting into the road (469), inattentive and failure to yield to traffic signals (63). Overall 4092 pedestrians died in 2009 due to their actions. Three thousand of those deaths happened outside of an intersection, showing people need to cross at intersections where drivers are expecting them. Crossing the road can be deadly, which is why it is important to cross in safe manners and at intersections when it is appropriate.

There are many arguments as to why one would not cross properly. A common reason is pedestrians always have the right of way. Legally, this is true, but the laws of physics are not governed by society. You will be the one that ultimately pays for your mistake. Another argument is it saves time by not waiting for the crossing signal. Around campus the lights turn readily while pedestrians are waiting. At most, you may be saving two minutes, and if you get hit, you will be out for life. One could also argue you can cross when there are no cars. Scenario: It is dark out and a driver forgets to turn on his headlights. He comes over a hill seeing a green light, unaware of the person trying to cross and hits the pedestrian. You can never know there is not a car. You could also slip on your way across. A car comes along oblivious to your situation and runs you over. There is no good reason for crossing illegally; you will be putting yourself in needless peril.

It is frustrating to see students being so unsafe. We have all seen people crossing Lincoln Way when cars are only a block away, then standing on the median begging for a distracted driver to jump the curb and end their life. Or being thrown forward because someone darts in front of the bus trying to get to class on time. We are all working too hard to take such chances with our lives. Think of your families, friends and the poor person whose life will be forever changed after they were unlucky enough to kill you on their way to class. Remember Jonathan. Remember you. Make good decisions and cross safely.