CNN reporter Christine Romans lectures about American hardships

Photo: Bryan Langfeldt/Iowa State Daily

CNN correspondent Christine Roman signs autographs for fans after her lecture on the economy Wednesday,Oct. 6. She also handed out free books to students in ME 484/584.

Alayna Flor

In an overcrowded lecture hall, ISU alumna and CNN reporter Christine Romans spoke to students about hardships Americans have faced and what students can do to help themselves in the current economy.

“For you, as students and units of labor, it’s going to be about competing in a landscape where there are 16 million people out of work,” Romans said. “That’s why smart is the new rich — you have to be smarter than ever in this globalized economy.”

In Romans’ new book, “Smart is the New Rich,” she discusses problems and challenges in the current economy.

“A lot of very smart people, and all walks of life, agree that we need smart people to be the backbone of our country when it comes to innovation and moving forward,” Romans said.

As college students, it is good to stick with focusing on the positives and not about what negatives are going on in the real world.

A large part of Romans’ speech was about big thinkers — people who are educating themselves to be ahead of those who are not. The economy in the next decade is going to be based on new technology and information. With more of both being produced every day, it’s the job of today’s generation to stay on top of it.

Thankfully, there is a lot of optimism out there to adapt to the changing world, Romans said.

“When I talk to young people, they can’t wait to get out there and fix problems,” she said.

Romans also tapped into the issue of today’s job market.

“Today we have lost 8.4 million jobs in the past two years … it would take 56 months to restore those jobs, with each month creating at least 300,000 new jobs,” Romans said.

College students are faced with the hardships of the current job market, with fewer ways to use their education in the workforce.

“The treasurer department said this week that the middle class is spending less: American families are looking in, tightening their belt, figuring out how to manage your tuition and your needs,” Romans said. “For some families, they are tapping into retirement plans to pay for student tuitions.”

Even when students leave college with large amounts of debt, Romans advises to load up on the education while you can.

“Borrowed money now is cheaper than it’s ever been,” Romans said. “Student loans are good debt.”

Aside from debt out of college, finding a job is also difficult for most graduates. Being smart and using outside resources will help graduates land the jobs. Romans also emphasized the importance of networking to find employment.

“Somebody is only going to hire you if you can tell them how you can save them money,” Romans said.

Romans mentioned extensive trade and globalization going on worldwide as well. Gadgets and gizmos that the middle and upper class can afford are being produced in other countries, and that is taking a toll on both parties.

“The irony of technology is that we can see what’s happening around the world. But some technology is changing the culture of the people that are making it,” Romans said. “Even our comforts here are changing the ways of life elsewhere.”

Romans ended by comparing the American dream to the American reality. 

“For the first time in a long time, with the American dream or American reality, should we be doing some serious soul searching about where we stand?” Romans said.