GSB senate grants more than $27,000 in funding to Iowa State student groups

Michaela Sickmann

The Government of the Student Body senate voted to grant funding to three separate student organizations.

ISU Judo Club received $27,480 from GSB for new mats. Trenton Ewing, president of the group, said the new mats will be  beneficial.

The organization plans to purchase two sets of mats to extend the life of the equipment. ISU Judo Club has more than 300 members and uses these mats about 20 hours a week. The mats are also used for other  events including tournaments, youth programs and self-defense demonstrations.

GSB also approved ISU Drill Team’s request for $195 to pay for entry fees at a Madison, Wisc., competition.

The Green Umbrella organization was granted $70 to aid advertising costs for National Campus Sustainability Day on Wednesday. For the event, the group will be hosting a sustainability fair from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

CyRide has expressed interest in purchasing a GPS locator system for its buses, GSB President Luke Roling said.

“It’s still in the more conceptual state, but it would allow you to go online and see where the bus is and when it will be coming,” he said.

Finally, the ISU Financial Counseling Clinic will hold office hours to help students improve their financial well being. The group will be in Room D of the West Student Office Space from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. to help with any questions students may have about financial issues. The ISU Financial Counseling Clinic also has a Facebook account that has information concerning activities, financial tips and events that will be coming up.