Letter: Make Labor Day a day on instead of a day off

For many college students, Labor Day means the end of a summer job, or summer fun, the start of a new school year and perhaps the kickoff of the college football season.

Historically, Labor Day, which unlike other American holidays does not recognize any particular group, event, individual or battle, celebrates workers and their contributions to our nation.

But, I think Labor Day is also a time to recognize the struggles of working people. Especially now, when – despite significant gains – workers and students are feeling more anxiety than festivity.

It has taken a lot of work to get the economy headed on a path to recovery. This is not just the responsibility of the Labor Secretary or leaders in Washington. There is a role for everyone, including college students.

Here are a few ways you can help:

Expand your circle. Since President Obama has made federal student aid, including Pell grants, available to unemployed workers, there will be more non-traditional students on campus. From the former auto worker studying to be a nurse, to the single mother who is earning a degree on nights and weekends, there is no such thing as a typical college student anymore, as workers re-enter academic institutions of all types to retool and retrain. That’s good for colleges, very good for workers and even better for you. Get to know fellow students, especially those that don’t exactly look like you. You will never know how you can help each other.

Support your peers. You may also see more veterans of every age on campus. Student-veteran groups are forming on campuses to provide peer-to-peer networks, sponsor events and activities and make sure that veterans are successful at school, and later, at work. Learn more about how you can get involved in these efforts at studentveterans.org. And you can help yourself while helping others, too. Disabled American Veterans, dav.org, offers a $15,000 scholarship for volunteers who provide at least 100 hours of service to local VA Hospitals in a year. This is an excellent ways to get invaluable experience and build your resume in the many high-growth careers in the health care industry.

Share your passion. My department runs Job Corps, one of the country’s largest networks of residential educational/vocational training programs. It helps more than 100,000 young people a year learn a great career and earn a high school diploma. Many of the 123 JobCorps centers around the country have volunteer opportunities – check out serve.gov. Find a JobCorps student who is interested in the same career as you are – our programs range form culinary arts to computers to construction – and become a mentor or tutor. The Serve.gov site can also help you find other volunteer opportunities where the needs are greatest. The unemployment rate for people with disabilities is more than 16 percent. Hundreds of organizations that serve this important community need your help in a variety of job skills and readiness programs. This is a great way for you to put your unique talents to work, hone your own skills, sharpen your focus and help others.

Get “green” now, earn green later. Get involved in the efforts to green your campus or community: community gardens, recycling initiatives, even solar and wind energy projects. We’re making significant investments in a whole new American industry: clean energy. Our goal is to reduce our dependence on foreign energy oil, and re-energize our manufacturing sector, creating jobs today and tomorrow.

I hope you will make Labor Day 2010 a day on, instead of a day off. There’s nothing wrong with making time for barbecues and the big game, but let’s make time for each other, too. Let’s all do the work that will get America working.