LETTERS: University offers several housing opportunities

Steven Johnson

You go off to college and, at last, the freedom you have desired for the majority of your adolescent years is within grasp. You try moving off-campus immediately, finding a job to support yourself, all while attending school.

Now this all sounds very good to you but what happens in the event that you lose your job? What will happen with your 12-month lease that you still have to pay?

Where will you live? What friends will you confide in? No need to continue pulling your hair out worrying about situations similar to these.

Living in the residence halls, you won’t have to worry any longer about bills, financial burdens, your social life or your sanity.

Residential life creates sort of a safety net allowing you to enjoy experiences as a college student while still maturing into the adult you’re destined to be.

Kylie, a freshman female, decided that it would be a great idea to go to the same college as her boyfriend Jonathon. She was merely 17 years old when she went off to college. Eager to live as an adult, Kylie moved in with Jonathon and they rent an apartment.

Dissatisfied with the decision Kylie made, her mother chose to cut all financial aid to Kylie. By this time Kylie had signed a lease and moved far from campus. Her car was now uninsured and she had no gas to get to and from school.

Neither of the two had a job and both were unable to support themselves.  Having no friends, it was hard to find someone to run to for help. She felt all alone in this situation of hell.  Rushing to be on her own led to her downfall.

Most people who don’t live on-campus can think of a multitude of excuses that explain why they live off campus and how it is better than living in the dorms.

When speaking with the Larch Hall Hall Director Linda Garbisch, she said that though everyone’s reasoning is different, generally students have some of the same excuses for not wanting to live on campus which include wanting to have their own space and having a quiet environment.

Also some reasoning includes the dorms don’t have a stove, the dorms aren’t very clean, the hate of community restrooms vandalism and the worry of theft in the dorms. Little do they know many of these occurrences are preventable.

There are so many solutions to finding housing to suit your needs. Iowa State offers 22 different places to live giving you more options to fit your lifestyle. You want an apartment style home, with a stove, personal space, roommate-free and homelike?

Well the Schilletter and University Village is the way to go, being that they are actual apartments furnished by the university.

If you want to live the traditional dorm life college experience, Iowa State offers dorms like Maple, Willow, Larch, Friley, Oak and Elm with that style of living as well.

One benefit to living in the on campus is the ability to get involved. There are chances to get involved starting with the places you live.

It is so easy to become active in your house/floor council (if you live in the residence halls), or you can even go further and represent your residential area as a president.

It is so much easier when you are involved and the club you are in happens to be where you live as well.

No worrying about how you are going to get to the next meeting, or if you are going to get rained on while commuting. Generally the residential clubs meet within the dorms. If you are shy and feel like you don’t have what it takes to join, don’t worry.

In the long run, joining clubs helps you develop or enhance social skills and provides the opportunity to learn and be able to communicate clearly to others who you work with.

Worried time isn’t on your side? Clubs usually aid student in creating a better schedule and using their time more wisely.

Organizations are great resume builders and boost the experiences of a college student. The transition from high school to college easier as well as from semester to semester is slightly easier when you live on campus.

Not being worried about monthly bills, leases and transportation make housing issues manageable. Being involved in clubs and organizations push the accountability of students’ actions.

You learn to be responsible for keeping up with your work while making sure your position duties in your club is fulfilled.

Learning and growing with each new experience, maturing as an adult and still not having to fully take on adult responsibilities are some of the benefits of living on campus.

Community building is a by-product of students becoming involved and active on campus. Now, who wouldn’t want the feeling of satisfaction that is gained when helping others and being needed?

Not only are you aiding others around you, but you’re benefiting from helping as well.

Steven Johnson is a freshman in industrial engineering.