LETTERS: Daily should show more interest

Alejandra Navarro and Maria Aleivar

It’s been almost a week since the Arizona Immigration Law SB1070 was passed and it has come to my attention that our esteemed paper has yet to mention anything about this. With a growing Hispanic community in Ames and Iowa State, we find it necessary that The Daily should not only inform everyone about this disappointing law, but also raise awareness about the impact it has within the Latino community in the United States, not only in Arizona.

We live in 21st century, and we are still dealing with racial discrimination just like during the Jim Crow era. The law that passed supports racial profiling, a thing which is unconstitutional and denigrating.

We feel that The Daily should provide the student body with the correct information about what this law means, and the effect it is having across the United States. There have been various Facebook groups formed, blogs, even petitions signed — but Iowa State has yet to recognize this issue. As Latino students we find it necessary to let students know about problems in this country regarding other cultures.

Since Iowa State prides itself in supporting diversity, my suggestion is for The Daily to show interest in this topic, since it is one of the main news outlets provided to students.

We hope you take this into great consideration.

Alejandra Navarro is a sophomore in animal ecology; Maria Aleivar is a junior in women’s studies.