EDITORIAL: Set aside time to celebrate rights, appreciate speech

Religion, speech, press, peaceable assembly and petitioning the government — the rights the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution affords us.

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”

Today — First Amendment Day — is a day to remember.

And celebrate.

It’s hard to wrap our minds around a world without the First Amendment, isn’t it? It offers freedoms most of us always enjoyed.

Still, even here in Hamilton Hall – home of Iowa State’s journalism studies – we hear tale after tale of high school and college students around the state and nation whose principals and university presidents and chancellors step into the student newsroom or news station to quash the coverage of a local event or scandal that would cast the institution in a poor light.

On a larger scale, it’s not unheard of for public agencies — people who spend our hard-earned money on public services — such as school boards, city councils and state legislatures, to withhold information or make decisions in the dark. Even when it’s clearly our right to know.

And we don’t mean the right of nosey members of the media, such as ourselves, but we, members of the Ames community.

Inhabitants of the state of Iowa.

Citizens of the United States of America.

Because, for most of us, there’s more to life than good PR.

Thousands, millions, billions and, ever-more frequently, trillions of Americans’ dollars are spent on initiatives, programs and other services public officials have deemed necessary, for the greater good.

Unfortunately, we occasionally elect or employ persons with less-than-worthy causes, who take advantage of imperfect systems in order to better themselves or their friends.

Last summer’s Iowa film tax-credit scandal is a great example.

The more recent Iowa Association of School Boards scandal is another.

Don’t know what we’re talking about? Get informed! Watch or read the news.

It’s your responsibility, as a member of this representative democracy — one of your few responsibilities, truth be told.

But that’s where we come in, too — why we’re around — to serve you in doing the dirty work of keeping them honest on your behalf.

Essential to our mission is a preserved and protected First Amendment — the rights to believe, speak, publish, assemble and petition as we see fit.

First Amendment Day is an opportunity to take time out of our lives to remember the opportunities afforded us by the Constitution, and to join in doing so with your fellow Cyclones.

Students, faculty and staff from across campus will join together Thursday in front of Parks Library to celebrate.

So in the madness of the end of the semester, as we come closer and closer to final projects and exams, take time out of your day, today, to remember and celebrate the freedoms of the First Amendment.