LETTERS: Nonprofit job shadow offers glimpse of meaningful work

In the fall semester, I had the privilege of getting to know people who love what they do, love the people they do it for and wouldn’t trade their jobs for a million dollars. Their jobs aren’t glorious or high-paying, but they are meaningful. Isn’t that the job you want to have?

The Nonprofit Protege Program, in its pilot session last fall, paired seven college students with executive directors of non-profits in the Ames area. These students learned the essence of nonprofit management by meeting with their mentors weekly, attending board meetings and participating in the organization’s programs. When reflecting on the experience this spring, each student noted the invaluable experience of working with people who were passionate about making a difference in the lives of people in Story County.

While nonprofits are an essential component to our community, they often don’t get that recognition in the academic or corporate world. Our culture often dismisses the idea of working for anything but profit, and therefore cuts off an industry that not only provides for the needs of the community, but also enriches and encourages the hearts and lives of its workers. 

“The non-profit industry is a sea of gray hair,” said Reno Berg, the director of Mainstream Living.

If we do not begin as an academic environment to recognize the importance of these organizations and encourage students to pursue these types of careers, we are endangering the future health of our communities.

I encourage all students who desire a purposeful career and desire to make a difference in their communities to apply for the Nonprofit Protege Program and get exposed to the nonprofit world. This program can change the way you think about work for the better and you will certainly not regret it.

Applications for the fall program can be found at www.sac.iastate.edu/nppp and are due on March 12.

Meghan Roberts is a senior in civil engineering.