LETTERS: De-icing sidewalks will help attendance

Ashley Freese

Waking up in the morning to go to classes can be hard. It’s even harder when you look outside to see at least a foot of snow covering the ground, and knowing that before long you have to trek out into this wintery nightmare to walk to class. Being a student here, I know what this is like. For most of the people I have talked to, it can be hard enough getting motivated to go to class in the dead cold of winter and trudging through the snow. However, once you accomplish raising your spirits and bundling up to go outside, you may think it’s not that bad out there — at least not until you realize that the sidewalks are not only covered in snow, but they are also solid sheets of ice. Perhaps the first time you slip, your motivation will waver a little. And then again the second or third time you slip. Finally, the day is over and you are in the safe comfort of your own bed just to realize you have to do all this again tomorrow. The sidewalks along campus should be de-iced more efficiently for the safety of students and faculty.

With less ice covering the pathways, everyone will not only be safe from slipping, but they will also have a higher motivation to go to class. The Facilities Planning and Management’s “Helpful Hints When Walking on Snow or Ice” seems to think pedestrians need to just walk more carefully and slowly. However, when a student is in a hurry to make it to a class across campus, it’s hard to restrain to a slow walking pace. For several students, getting to class on time means not missing out on a pop quiz or extra credit points in the first few minutes. If every last point was crucial, would you risk jeopardizing points because the snow removal service can’t de-ice the sidewalks? If there were fewer ice chunks lurking around, students wouldn’t have to act like they’re walking on egg shells. They would be able to get to class at a normal pace without slipping on the unseen ice.

I found at least 10 different types of salts, salt-mixers and other de-icers when I was searching for possible alternatives to what is currently being used. According a member of the snow removal services, Iowa State uses “calcium chloride mixed with sand to melt through the snow and ice.”     Although the Washington Post claims experts say calcium chloride is one of the most recommended de-icers, it is also one of the most expensive salts out there. The snow removal services have already spent three-fourths of the $350,000 budget they received this year, which leads us to the question of whether Iowa State is spending too much on this particular type of de-icer. Maybe Iowa State should try a cheaper or  new method of spreading it more effectively.

A problem that many people see as the result of using more salt is that the plant or aquatic life will be harmed. It is said that salt dries up water, clogs local waterways and changes the chemical composition of soil. However, this is inaccurate. There are salts that don’t harm the plant or aquatic life. One example is the calcium chloride that is being used here now. It’s even better for the environment if the ice is removed as soon as it’s loose, says Shawn Shouse of ISU Extension Field Specialist/Agricultural Engineering. The sand in the mixture doesn’t harm the environment either. It should be washed out when spring comes around, but other than that no harm done.

The winter weather can quickly turn safe sidewalks into difficult and dangerous pathways for pedestrians to navigate. However, with all the de-icing products that have been developed, why can’t we make it a safer place I know funding is a problem for laying down more salt and sand, but Iowa State could raise the budget for snow and ice removal. Even students and families could donate a small amount of money for the safety of everyone. The money would go toward both salt and sand, because while the salt melts the ice, the sand creates more traction for the people walking across. Another solution would be to remove the ice as soon as it starts breaking apart. This would minimize the amount of salt being used, save money and get rid of the initial problem. If the university expects students to travel safely to classes on the icy terrain, then the sidewalks need to be cleared.

Ashley Freese is a freshman in pre-business