CONNECTing to God

Gospel Extravaganza is is an annual event that showcases various regional gospel performers. The show is filled with music, prayer, dancing and poetry. The event is coordinated by CONNECT, an ISU student group based out of New Birth Baptist Church. Courtesy photo: Keith King/CONNECT

Nathan Winters —

Former ISU student Eric Ashby wasn’t always a Christian gospel singer. In college, he was a “wild” student.

His “wake-up call” came to him during an incident that occurred while attending Iowa State, he said.

“When I was in college, I kind of turned my back on God,” Ashby said. “While I was in Ames, I was dating an individual. We were having some arguments, and I ended up being stabbed in Friley Hall. I was taken to Mary Greeley [Medical Center] where the doctors said the wound was a hairline from my abdominal wall. Had it gone in any farther, I would have had internal bleeding and died. That was my wake-up call, you know, that said, ‘Lord, I have to run back to you.’”

That experience is the basis for Ashby’s song, “Run to You.”

Ashby will return to campus Friday night to debut his new single, “Footsteps,” at the Gospel Extravaganza 2010, a free night of song, dance and prayer dedicated to God.

Gospel Extravaganza is an annual event that showcases various regional gospel performers who come to Ames and put on a show filled with music, prayer, dancing and poetry.

“I’m honored to come perform for the Gospel Extravaganza,” Ashby said. “I always love coming back to Ames to see old friends, and it’s a good opportunity to worship with friends and rejoice with the Lord.”

Ashby will be doing what he does best: share his life experiences and connection to the Lord through song.

This year’s lineup features returning acts such as the Des Moines-based gospel choir Restoration & Prayze and the Gospel Soul Innovators, along with Ashby. The show will feature some spoken word selections from MC Robert “Words” Taylor throughout the night.

The event is coordinated by CONNECT, an ISU student group that is part of New Birth Baptist Church. In the past, the event has been held in smaller places such as the Great Hall in the Memorial Union and the Collegiate Presbyterian Church, 159 Sheldon Ave.

While the jump from the Great Hall to Stephens Auditorium is a large move, CONNECT is very excited and hopeful about the change.

“With not only a larger venue, but a more extensive and diverse lineup of talent, CONNECT plans to have record attendance,” CONNECT President Maria Joseph said. “We hope to fill Stephens.”

While admission is free, there will be a free will offering collected to help support Beyond Welfare. Gospel Extravaganza has collected for the organization all three years it has existed.