Renowned bass-baritone and ISU professor to tour Iowa’s 99 counties

Simon Estes, opera singer, sings at the Durham Bandshell in Bandshell park in Ames on Thursday, June 18, 2009. Photo: Laurel Scott/Iowa State Daily

Sarah Binder —

Simon Estes, internationally acclaimed bass-baritone and ISU adjunct professor and distinguished artist in residence, announced a concert tour of Iowa’s 99 counties.

Proceeds will help create a scholarship for a student in each participating county, according to a news release.

Simon Estes performs with the Ames Municpal Band

The tour is called “Roots and Wings,” an homage to Estes’ Iowa background. The concerts will feature Broadway and opera performances by Estes, songs by promising local artists and opportunities to meet Estes at each stop.

Proceeds will benefit the Simon Estes Iowa Educational Foundation. A scholarship will be given to a high school senior from each county in the tour, based on merit and financial need, regardless of the student’s planned course of study.

In addition to providing scholarships, the foundation gives performance opportunities to college students and graduates perusing careers as professional artists.

So far, four concerts have been scheduled in Hampton, West Des Moines, Pella and Parkersburg.

The West Des Moines concert will feature the Lutheran Church of Hope Choir and Alexa Rainforth, junior in music.

Simon Estes in Concert

When: 7 p.m. March 12

Where: Lutheran Church of Hope in West Des Moines, 925 Jordan Creek Parkway, West Des Moines.

Cost: $17.50 or $12.50 for adults, $7.50 for students; 10 percent discount for groups of 10 or more. Additional contributions to the scholarship fund will be accepted.

Purchase tickets online, or visit the church until the day of the event.