LETTERS: Peterson-Wilson ready to stand up

Ian Ringgenbery

I’m writing in support of Chandra Peterson and Jacob Wilson’s campaign for GSB president and vice president. One of the most important qualities in a GSB executive is often overlooked during the promises of campaign season: his or her ability to stand up and be independent to university administrators.

A few weeks ago GSB voted to fund the Varsity Theater and contribute yearly to its budget up to $40,000. Did you know that in the same meeting GSB voted to fund a Web site for Event Management for $31,000? Also at the same meeting, the university asked GSB to contribute $7,000 to install new maps on campus. When GSB executives and legislators don’t stand up to the administration, the funds that are supposed to make our student experience better end up padding the budgets of campus departments.

In my extensive work with Peterson and Wilson, I think they are ready and willing to stand up for students in a constructive way. GSB needs good relations with the ISU administration to solve the problems that face students, but it needs to be ready to be an honest, frank and resolute voice for student interests. You need only look at the fantastic work Peterson has done in Campustown to know that she is able to use her passion to build a coalition of support for important issues. Jacob has acted on the senate to encourage GSB to show consistency and favor toward students in funding. I say keep up the good work and vote Peterson-Wilson on March 1 and 2.

Ian Ringgenbery is a graduate in interdisciplinary graduate studies.