ISU music department to host Madrigal Dinners

Scott Hurst, sophomore in music, rehearses, Wednesday, as the Town Crier for the 45th annual Madrigal Dinner in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union. Students of the ISU Singers, The Music Men, Musica Antiqua, and the ISU Orchesis II Dancers will perform January 15th and 16th at 5:30p.m. Photo: Valerie Allen/Iowa State Daily

Sarah Binder —

This weekend, the ISU music department is preparing to take some people back to an earlier time — way back.

The ISU Singers, the Music Men, Musica Antiqua and Orchesis II will all come together to create a scene of England, as it would have been in 1605, for the 45th annual Madrigal Dinners on Friday and Saturday evening.

“It’s like a play and a concert at the same time,” said Don Simonson, professor of music and the designated King James I of England at the dinners. He is in charge of directing the evening’s activities, including leading the traditional procession, introducing the performers and leading toasts.

The dinner consists of traditional foods from the period such as wassail punch and plum pudding. Throughout the meal, small groups of singers and musicians break off to serenade groups of guests.

But one of Simonson’s favorite Madrigal parts comes after the dinner is finished and the more formal concerts begin; that is when he can enjoy the music as an audience member.

He said there is a “creative genius” to the music offered; that pitch, rhythm and harmony come together to make music people still love to hear hundreds of years after it was composed.

“It’s great to hear these college-age singers sing so beautifully,” he said.

In addition to the musical performances, the ISU Singers create new, lighthearted plays each year.

“Jester and Jouster,” a comical work, will be featured this weekend, and another play will give the audience ample opportunity to get involved.

James Rodde, co-producer of the dinners and director of choral activities, said the entertainment will also include juggling and performances by the campus dance group Orchesis II.

All the performances are complimented by the atmosphere created by the Great Hall, which will be lit only by candles and decorated with garland.

Musica Antiqua, a group consisting mainly of faculty and staff, bring added authenticity to the evening with their collection of interestingly named 12th to 17th century instruments, such as the hurdy-gurdy or krummhorns.

The performers also adorn themselves in full costumes resembling 17th century English dress. There are a full range of characters, from the king and his court to jesters and beggars.

But dressing up isn’t limited to the performers. Randy Compton, co-producer of the dinners and member of the Music Men, said there is one dedicated group of students that comes dressed in elaborate costumes each year.

Each night, the best dressed guest will be awarded two free tickets to next year’s dinner.

All of the elements will come together to create an experience from another time: “for about three hours, we suspend reality,” Simonson said. Iowa State has a long history of collegiate Madrigal Dinners — Compton said it was “one of the earliest.”

The 45th Annual Madrigal Dinner

Where: Great Hall, Memorial Union

When: 5:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday

Cost: $40 regular or $36 for ISU students, seniors and groups of 10 or more

Tickets are available at the Maintenance Shop or by phone at 294-8349. Purchasing tickets a day in advance is encouraged.

Description: 17th century music, costumes, and food will be served up at Iowa State’s 45th Annual Madrigal Dinners. Guests of the “Royal Court” will be entertained by large and small musical ensembles, traditional plays and performances and a candlelight dinner.

The Menu, feaste [tentative]:

Wassail punch

Boneless pork loin chop

Duchess potatoes

Salad with raspberry vinaigrette

Squash with wild rice

Guillotine pull apart bread

Plum pudding with lemon sauce and hard sauce

Dates and nuts

Special dietary considerations can be made to meet the needs of vegetarians, diabetics, etc. Please make requests in advance.

—Courtesy James Rodde