MEN’S BASKETBALL: Big 12 season-opening outlook

Nate Sandell, Michael Zogg, Chris Cuellar — Daily Staff Writers

Kansas State

Last year’s record: 22–12, 9–7 in the Big 12; lost in second round of NIT to San Diego State, 72–50

Returning starters: 4

Key returners: Sr. G Denis Clemente, 15.0 ppg, 3.5 apg; Jr. G Jacob Pullen, 13.9 ppg, 3.2 apg; So. F Jamar Samuels, 8.3 ppg, 4.7 rpg

Key losses: F Darren Kent, 9.0 ppg, 5.8 rpg

Synopsis: After a second-round NIT appearance last season and the return of five of its six top scorers last season, anticipation is growing among the Kansas State fan base. With 82.4 percent of his team’s points back this year, Kansas State coach Frank Martin could be on his way to his third straight winning season at the helm of the Wildcats.

If the Wildcats hope to contend with the Big 12’s best they will need a steady contribution from guards Denis Clemente and Jacob Pullen. Clemente, who was named to the pre-season All-Big 12 honorable mention list, led the Wildcats with 15.0 points last season, while Pullen contributed 13.9 points and 3.2 assists per game. Wally Judge, a freshman from Washington, D.C., and ESPNU’s No. 15 recruit last year, is expected to fill the vacant post spot left by the departure of forward Darren Kent.

Texas Tech

Last year’s record: 14–19, 3–13

Returning starters: 4

Key returners: Jr. G John Roberson, 13.9 ppg, 6.4 apg; Jr. Mike Singletary, 12.2 ppg, 5.8 rpg; Sr. G Nick Okorie, 11.3 ppg, 3.1 rpg

Key losses: Alan Voskuil, 13.8 ppg, 4.1 apg

Synopsis: Three of its top four scorers return this season as Texas Tech begin the pursuit of its first winning season in three years. At the forefront of the offense is junior guard John Roberson. Apart from a Big 12 leading 6.4 assists per game, Roberson led the Red Raiders with 13.9 points per game. Forward Mike Singletary also returns and the Red Raiders will hope they will see more from the 6-foot-6-inch forward who scored a Big 12 Championship record 43 points against Texas A&M in the first round of last year’s Big 12 tournament.

If Texas Tech expects to compete in the talent-rich Big 12, the Red Raiders will need to boast a more consistent defense. Last season, Texas Tech yielded a Big 12 worst 79 points per game. With an 18–26 record over the last two seasons, coach Pat Knight’s seat on the Red Raider may get hotter unless the Red Raiders see results this season.

Colorado

Last year: 9–22, 1–15

Returning starters: 4

Key returners: Jr. G Cory Higgins, 17.4 ppg, 5.4 rpg; Sr. G Dwight Thorne II, 12.0 ppg, 3.4 rpg; So. F Austin Dufault, 8.2 ppg, 3.7 rpg

Key losses: None

Synopsis: Colorado has become a stalwart at the bottom of the Big 12. In the past three seasons, the Buffaloes have won seven conference games in a season and have totaled an overall record of 21–62. Buffalo fans will need to hope their team doesn’t believe in self-fulfilling prophecy, as Colorado was picked by Big 12 coaches to finish at the bottom of the conference yet again.

Last year’s leading scorer Cory Higgins is back at guard and the team’s second leading scorer Dwight Thorne II also returns at guard. Six-foot-six-inch junior college transfer Marcus Relphorde is expected to join Higgins and Thorne II in the starting lineup.

Oklahoma Sooners

Last year: 30–6, 13–3, lost to UNC 72–60 in Elite Eight of NCAA Tournament

Returning starters: Willie Warren 14.6 ppg; Tony Crocker 9.6 ppg

Key Losses: Blake Griffin 22.7 ppg,14.4 rpg; Taylor Griffin 9.6 ppg, 5.8 rpg

Overview: Losing the consensus player of the year and number one NBA draft pick and his older brother is going to test coach Jeff Capel and his ball-club for 2009–’10. The return of highlight-making sophomore Willie Warren will ease the slide of talent, as will experienced back court teammates Crocker and Cade Davis.

With a much-improved Big 12 South and no prospective future NBA All-Stars going to high school in the Oklahoma City area, Capel might need his best coaching job yet in Norman to get this squad back to the tournament. If anything else, Warren will be fun to watch.

Baylor Bears

Last year: 24–15, 5–11, lost to Penn State 69–63 in NIT Championship

Returning Starters: LaceDarius Dunn 15.7 ppg; Tweety Carter 10.6 ppg

Key Losses: Curtis Jerrells 16.3 ppg; Kevin Rogers 12.6 ppg, 7.6 rpg

Overview: Baylor got most of its scoring from a quick-firing backcourt and its looks to do it again even with team leader Curtis Jerrells’ departure after four years. Dunn was a sixth man for most of the year, but still the second leading scorer on the team, and he’ll look to step into Jerrells’ role if the team will have any success.

The introduction of two more seven-footers in the paint to complement the guard play should help Baylor, who ended the Big 12 season in a disappointing fashion last year with all the talent under 6-foot-5-inches. The guards will need to play well again this year to give the private school boys from Waco a chance to compete, but should they succeed, LaceDarius Dunn may be one of the most popular two guards in the country come March.

Texas Longhorns

Last year: 23–12, 9–7; lost to Duke 74–69 in second Round of NCAA Tournament

Returning Starters: Damion James 15.4 ppg, 9.2 rpg; Dexter Pittman 10.1 ppg, 5.5 rpg

Key Losses: A.J. Abrams 16.6 ppg, 40% 3PT FG

Overview: The Longhorns may have lost the dynamic Abrams from the backcourt, but there is a reason this team is projected in Final Four brackets in October, because the other four starters are returning and the second-ranked recruiting class in the nation will make the Longhorns a power. Number one recruit Avery Bradley is a 6-foot-2-inch guard that will immediately start for Texas, and Rick Barnes is ecstatic about the size of Pittman, the toughness of James, the skill of his role players Johnson and Mason and the finesse of Bradley and the transfer from Florida, Jai Lucas.

Look for the Longhorns to compete with Kansas at the top of the conference out of pure athleticism and talent.

Nebraska Cornhuskers

Last year: 18–13, 8–8; lost to New Mexico 83–71 in first Round of NIT

Returning starters: Sek Henry 8 ppg; Ryan Anderson 3.8 rpg

Key Losses: Ade Dagunduro 12.8 ppg; Cookie Miller 3.6 apg

Overview: Last year’s scrappy team from the Big 12, coach Doc Sadler led his Cornhuskers to an improbable NIT bid with one of the most balanced teams in America. No one player dominated the spotlight for the team, but the departures of do-it-all forward Dagunduro and transferring playmaker Cookie Miller, the Cornhuskers will need to find even more figures to step into balanced roles.

Undersized game in and game out, Sadler had this team compete, and he’ll need them to do it again if Nebraska will compete in the ultra-competitive Big 12 this season.

Kansas

Last year: 27–8, 14–2; Lost to Michigan State 62–67 in the Sweet 16

Returning starters: Sherron Collins 18.9 ppg; Cole Aldrich 14.9 ppg 11.1 rpg; Tyshawn Taylor 9.7 ppg

Key Losses: None

Overview: The Jayhawks are picked to finish atop the Big 12 Conference in almost all the preseason polls. With all five starters and everybody that averaged more than 6 minutes per game last season returning for the regular season Big 12 champions, it is easy to see why.

Kansas will also add a stud at guard in the 6-foot-6-inch freshman Xavier Henry. Henry is ranked as the sixth best freshman in this year’s class by www.scout.com. The heart of the team, however, will be senior guard Sherron Collins. Collins led the team last season, scoring 18.9 points on 43.4 percent shooting. With his quick hands and lateral movement, Collins has also gained a reputation as a fierce defender.

Oklahoma State

Last year: 23–12, 9–7; lost to Pittsburg 76–84 in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

Returning starters: James Anderson 18.2 ppg; Obi Muonelo 12.7 ppg and 7.2 rpg; Keiton Page 8.6 ppg

Key losses: Byron Eaton 14.3 ppg, Terrel Harris 13.9 ppg, Ibrahima Thomas 8.3 ppg

Overview: The Cowboys lost a lot of leadership in guard Byron Eaton but they have a big, talented freshmen class coming in to take his place. The Cowboys have six freshmen, all ranked in the top 16 at their position by a major recruiting service.

The class includes three point guards, a small forward and two centers. Oklahoma State’s season will likely depend upon how quickly its freshmen can adjust to the college game and the Big 12 conference.

The cupboard is far from bare, however, with preseason all-Big 12 swingman James Anderson and his 18.2 points per game returning to the team. He will have to lead the way for the Cowboys to have success this season.

Missouri

Last Year: 31–7, 12–4; lost 75–82 to UCONN in the elite eight

Returning Starters: J.T. Tiller 8.6 ppg, Zaire Taylor 6.7 ppg

Key Losses: DeMarre Carroll 16.6 ppg, Leo Lyons 14.6 ppg, Matt Lawrence 9.2 ppg

Overview: The Tigers are coming off one of the best and most surprising seasons in school history. Their 31 victories last year set a school record. They also won 15 more games then the 2007–’08 squad, marking the largest improvement in school history.

Despite its success last season, expectations will be low again this year for Missouri. The Tigers are losing over 40 points and 15 rebounds per game, along with their experienced and tough frontcourt.

The Tigers will be small again this year, with nobody on their team taller than 6-foot-9-inches.

Texas A&M

Last Year: 24–10, 9–7; lost to UCONN 66–92 in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

Returning Starters: Donald Sloan 11.8 ppg, Bryan Davis 10.8 ppg and 6.5 rpg, B.J. Holmes 8.8 ppg

Key Losses: Josh Carter 13.8 ppg, Chinemelu Elonu 9.8 points and 7.3 rpg

Overview: The Aggies are looking to continue their winning ways as they have won 25 and 24 games in each of head coach Mark Turgeon’s first two seasons. This year’s team has more question marks than those first two squads however. The loss of top guard Josh Carter and top post Chinemelu Elonu’s will be difficult to replace.

The Aggies have an experienced group, however, including three seniors and a junior that will likely start for Texas A&M. The Aggies should be able to continue scoring, as they spread the ball and the points last season.

An area of concern could be height. They are guard heavy and do not have a proven post player and only one player on the roster over 6-foot-9-inches.