EDITORIAL: Chapel symbols unobtrusive, OK where they are

With GSB’s new resolution sent to the Memorial Union Board of Directors stating that it does not, at this time, find it necessary to strip the Memorial Union Chapel of its religious symbols, it’s time to put this whole religious controversy behind us.

Well, maybe.

This discussion over who should have which symbols displayed is a debate that has been raging for some time, and despite GSB’s recent official statement regarding the situation, we don’t see the fight dying down anytime soon. And that’s unfortunate.

The editorial board agrees with GSB’s decision. Although current symbols remain, GSB suggests consideration be made in the way of opening up the chapel to allow more religious symbols. We think that if that’s the way things go, as long as those who place their religions’ symbols within the chapel are willing to maintain and care for them, there really is nothing to be upset about.

We understand and to a certain extent empathize with those who have petitioned the chapel’s displays. It certainly would be an issue if Iowa State declared favoritism toward one religion, held it to a higher standard than others, or forced that religion’s views upon students.

But as things are, the chapel rests quite beyond sight — it took one of our editorial board members three tries to even find the thing — and is far from an oppressing sight to behold.

It is simply, as one might expect, a few symbols depicting various religions; symbols which you can clearly find at various club meetings, the myriad of religious buildings around Ames, and hung about the necks of students, dangling from a chain.

As many students who travel near the library around the noon hours know, there is also a man by the name of Sam who preaches the Bible from the sidewalk.

Should we remove these symbols and declarations of a particular faith as well? Should we tell Sam to take a hike? No.

This is a diverse campus, and we should welcome that diversity, and even invite it.

There are times when concerns of religion interfering with a neutral institution are more legitimate. For example, why is the phrase “In God we trust” on our currency? It wasn’t always that way. That changed during the Civil War.

Why are the words “under God” in our Pledge of Allegiance? That’s an even more recent change, having been introduced during the Cold War.

Why, according to a Gallup poll conducted in February 2007, just before the presidential election, did 53 percent of those surveyed say they would not vote for an atheist presidential candidate on religious views alone?

Why do theocracies persist around the globe, suppressing citizens and causing terror in the name of religion?

These are the things we should question. Not some symbols in a Memorial Union, which, as near as this editorial board can tell, does no harm to anyone.