Students transition from rural origins

Cast members of Farmscape pose for a cast shot after their perfomance in the Cardinal Room of the Memorial Union. Farmscape is a docu-drama that portrays the changing agricultural landscape of today and its affects on both land and people. Photo: Tim Reuter/Iowa State Daily

Tim Reuter

Bethany Pint —

Before coming to Iowa State, Aaron Palmer was accustomed to waking up at 5 a.m. and helping his family milk its 100 dairy cows on its farm in Waukon.

“It would be getting up every morning at five and milking cows for about two hours before going to school and then I would come home and do it again at night after school,” said Palmer, a senior in agricultural business.

When he began at Iowa State in August 2006, his routine changed.

“Part of me was happy to be away from the day-to-day demands of the dairy farm,” Palmer said. “It’s also kind of strange when you’re used to waking up early and going to bed early and all of the sudden you’re thrown into a college situation where most kids aren’t used to that.”

Justine Hosch, senior in animal science, said she relates to Palmer’s story.

Hosch’s family farm in Cascade was the site of a 3–5,000 beef cattle operation. Her family also raised sheep and horses.

Hosch said she would usually wake up around 6 a.m. to do chores and then get to school. After school, hungry animals would meet her at the gates.

It was strange not having animals to feed at first, Hosch said.

“After a couple of weeks it wore off and I was just like, ‘Wow, I don’t have to get up early and do this stuff, I can sleep in and go to class and do my own thing,’” Hosch said.

Leah Ruff, junior in agronomy, took turns doing the chores on the farm.

Her Farmersburg farm consisted of 30 cows, pigs and fields of corn and soybeans.

Ruff admitted her first day without required chores was “nice.”

“It felt like I didn’t have much to do so I was a little bored,” Ruff said. “It made me go out and meet more people and do some things.”

Yet she said she missed being near her animals.

Ruff said becoming involved right away at Iowa State helped her to fill the time she would normally spend working on the farm.

During her freshman year she joined the Dairy Science Club and was a part of the agronomy learning community.

Currently, Ruff is the treasurer of the Agronomy Club and a member of Kappa Kappa Psi, an honorary band fraternity.

Being a community adviser for Maple Hall’s fourth floor helps pass the time, too.

Ruff also works for a graduate student under Thomas Lubberstedt, associate professor in agronomy.

To fill the absence of chores, Hosch joined the Sigma Alpha sorority and is an Agriculture Ambassador for the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.

She’s also president of the Block and Bridle Club and works in the Lonergan Research Lab.

“I’ve probably missed being around animals and livestock,” Hosch said. “I grew up on a farm so seeing them every day and then coming down to Iowa State was different so I make sure that I have plenty of pictures in my room to help me feel at home.”

Hosch said getting involved in agriculture clubs and surrounding herself with other animal science or agriculture enthusiasts has helped her transition to dorm life.

Although it’s nice not having to get up early each morning and going to bed early each night, Palmer admits that he misses home.

“I also miss home, too, and actually like to go home and help out with chores and get outside and actually do some physical labor from time-to-time,” Palmer said.

Both of his summer internships at Picket Fence Creamery in Woodward and at Farm Credit Services of America in Mason City mean that Palmer has not been home to help bale hay or participate in other summer farming projects.

Although he hasn’t been home much this year ­— he’s been involved in the ISU dairy judging team — he calls home to check in.

A job at the United States Department of Agriculture’s North Central Regional Plant Introduction Station and being the president of the Dairy Science Club fills his time outside of classes.

Spring break study abroad opportunities have allowed Palmer to travel to Argentina and Australia.

Palmer will graduate in December, but he left some advice for incoming freshmen or students who are having trouble making the transition from rural life to the college life.

“Keep in touch with your family, make friends, remember your roots and don’t be afraid to explore and try new things at the same time,” Palmer said.