EDITORIAL: Students urged to take a stand in city elections

Students have a reputation of being more apathetic than other voters. City elections have a reputation of being less important than state or national elections.

So it may seem like an exercise in futility or naivety (or both) to try and convince said students of the importance of said election.

But a City Council election is coming up. And it’s important. So damn the torpedoes, we’re going to try anyway.

Thus the Editorial Board would like to submit the following list of items that affect your daily life — items that are in the hands of those we vote into office next month.

Occupancy. No more than three unrelated people can live in the same house together in Ames. Have a five-bedroom house? Too bad. Residents say it keeps slumlords from block-busting family neighborhoods. Students say it drives up their cost of living.

The bar age. Iowa City’s bar age is 19. Whether that is to the advantage or detriment of Iowa City is up for you to decide. But if you’re a supporter of replicating the concept here in Ames, City Council is the group that could make it happen.

Taxes. Developers say that high property taxes are part of the reason that retailers have such a hard time making it in Campustown. Would lowering them revitalize the neighborhood?

Tax abatements. The city often offers rebates for activity it would like to encourage, like revitalization efforts. Since February, any high-rise built in Campustown that wants to qualify for tax abatements can’t be built with balconies. Students, then, have no place to grill or grow a plant. But they also have no place to throw things from, or fall from, supporters of the change pointed out.

The couch ordinance. In 2003, the City Council outlawed having indoor furniture or appliances outside. Residents said it was necessary to keep the neighborhood looking nice. Students said it was unfair, since most college kids can’t afford to buy specific outdoor furniture.

Parking. Have to move your car at 10 p.m. each night? Does it drive you insane? Take it up with the city.

Liquor licenses. If it so desires (most of the time because of multiple violations of the law), City Council can decide not to renew an establishment’s liquor license — and you can kiss your favorite watering hole goodbye.

Zoning. If you want (or don’t want) a new mall, it’s important to have elected officials that agree with you.

Building codes. Greeks know all about these — such as the ordinance that requires all Greek houses be retrofitted with sprinkler systems by a certain date.

So as you can see, city elections aren’t just school boards and water towers — much of the fallout from city decisions falls directly on students.

So vote. If you’re not registered to vote, then go talk to City Council candidates and voice your opinion anyway.

GSB is hosting an open forum for Ames City Council candidates tonight at 7 p.m. in the Sun Room. Go.

If you’ve got an opinion, make it heard. Stand up. Be loud. And give ’em hell.