LETTERS: Student job creation vital to council election choice

Justin Knight

The upcoming Nov. 3 election may not seem as exciting or important as the 2008 presidential election, but ISU students and Ames residents alike should be especially interested in the outcome of the local races. Specifically, the Ames City Council election will largely determine the future direction for the city of Ames. Whether students are engaged in the economic and political status of Ames is unknown to me, though there are several key concerns with which students should be familiar.

ISU students leave with among the highest debt loads in the country — the average student graduates with a debt of $30,000 — partially because Ames only provides 22 percent of the part-time jobs for college students. Of all students who are employed, two-thirds of those student jobs are on campus. Imminent budget cuts threaten the future of these on-campus jobs, which jeopardizes student ability to afford to attend Iowa State. ISU students represent half the Ames population, and Ames must provide jobs to replace those being lost on campus.

Moreover, students used to have an off-campus office that helped with landlord-tenant relations. For many students, this is their first big contract, yet with little guidance. If Ames wants to welcome students, Ames should help fund the small cost of an office that helps students and landlords resolve disputes. Still, the condition of Campustown is a constant source of debate and discussion, though little has been done to improve the area.

Recently, however, the city of Ames filed the “Transit Hub Grant Proposal.” The Hub Proposal seeks to receive $40 million in federal funds to revitalize the Campustown area. Reliable analysis predicts that the Hub Proposal could increase jobs in Story County by 1 percent while creating more than 200 part-time jobs for students. The Hub Proposal also hopes to increase the aesthetics of Campustown and thereby attract more visitors.

Overall, students and residents alike should diligently consider the City Council elections and subsequently the future of Ames. Of the at-large candidates, ISU economics professor Peter Orazem has the vision to improve the future of Ames. Simply put, Orazem represents the voice of the student body. Orazem desires to increase student employment, both on- and off-campus, by stabilizing the existing retail market and increasing development throughout Ames. Moreover, Orazem played an integral role on the Transit Hub Grant Proposal process and will likely see the project through its completion. Again, I encourage all students and Ames residents to vote in the upcoming Nov. 3, city election, and to especially consider Orazem for the at-large position on the City Council.

— Justin Knight is a senior in political science