Another great migration

Megan Seefeld and Steven Seefeld move into their apartment on Saturday August 1st, 2009, on 2914 Oakland Street. Photo: Steven Fisher/Iowa State Daily

Steven Fisher

Erin Oftelie –

Ames was a flurry of activity over the weekend as most rental properties in town ended their leases Friday.

Pick-up trucks, horse trailers, cars and vans filled to capacity with boxes, mattresses, couches and other furniture were visible as many moved from one rental property to another.

Many students move each year during college, so this is nothing new to Allison Williams, senior in child, adult and family services, who moved into a house near campus over the weekend. Although she admitted moving is not an enjoyable experience, she said it is easier than moving into and out of the residence halls on campus.

She said moving into the residence halls can be complicated because of access to entrances and parking.

Williams’ fiancé, Scott Szurek, who graduated in electrical engineering in 2004, helped her move, along with her mother, Joyce Williams; her father, Jon Williams and her younger brother. They said they help her move every year and have another son who is an incoming freshman, so they “will be moving in Ames quite a bit,” Jon said.

A major concern for some when moving this time of year is finding a place to keep their belongings and to sleep for the 24-hour period between the time when one lease ends and the new one begins.

Williams said she stayed with Szurek and kept her belongings in a truck overnight.

Some property management companies offer early check-ins. Haverkamp Properties offers this with the caveat that the apartments are “as-is” in condition, but its normal check-in date was Monday. Haverkamp has 100 percent occupancy this year, which makes this year unique, said Haleigh Steere, Ames leasing assistant and Internet presence manager with Haverkamp Properties.

Steere also said check-ins went more smoothly this year than in previous ones, because tenants can pay their first month’s rent online. Many landlords and property management companies hire extra help around this time of the year, to get the properties ready for new tenants. Steere said Haverkamp hires about 50 extra helpers.

At a time when so many are moving simultaneously, it seems unlikely that everything would go off without a hitch.

Andy Peterson, senior in architecture, knows this as well as anyone. He said he stored his belongings in a moving truck for a few days, and when it came time to unload it, he found he had locked himself out.

Peterson said the lock on the truck was a shielded lock, one that could not simply be broken open. Fortunately, he said, he brought the truck to a local locksmith and was able to unload the contents.

Still, some would like to have things less stressful. “I wish there was an easier way so everyone didn’t have to do it at the same time,” said Jenny Burrell, junior in management.