AMUSE Asks: What’s it like to Kaleidoquiz?

As one of the most-anticipated events at Iowa State for its participants, Kaleidoquiz — sponsored by Iowa State’s radio station, KURE 88.5 FM — will have teams scrounging around for answers for the 26-hour event that might take participants to foreign places this year with the return of the traveling question.

Rick Hanton, captain of the first-place team from last year’s Kaleidoquiz and senior in computer engineering, and Charles Cleary, captain of the third-place team from last year and junior in history, both said the KURE staff asked all team members participating in the traveling question to have passports in preparation for the event. It is quite possible that this year’s traveling question — which has sent teams to the border of Iowa before — may take teams over the border of the country.

With this year’s line-up, both Hanton and Cleary said they hope their teams can do as well as they did last year.

First-place team from 2008

Location: Harwood house

Team Captain: Rick Hanton

senior in computer engineering

Q: How did it feel to be on the first place team last year?

A: “It was pretty awesome. We were quite happy. The year before we got first place as well, it’s gone back and forth between [Anders house and Harwood house].”

Q: What are your expectations for Kaleidoquiz this year?

A: “We’re really excited for the return of the traveling question. For a couple years Risk Management has stopped KURE from having the traveling question. They are bringing it back and sending a team of people to Chicago and two unknown destinations for a large amount of extra points.”

Q: How does it feel to be a part of something that has been around Iowa State for so long?

A: “It’s a very good feeling. I think two years ago someone’s mother said she remembered doing Kaleidoquiz before the days of the Internet and Google. She said they would hide people in the stacks of the library the night before Kaleidoquiz. It was really neat to hear that.”

Q: Why did you want to get involved in Kaleidoquiz?

A: “Initially my freshman year I was a part of the Harwood honors house and it’s a big deal there. Usually most of the students there get involved with Kaleidoquiz. I was quite involved early on and ending up taking over.” Hanton said this year will be “especially challenging for [his] team” because a former team captain for Harwood works for KURE, and “know[s] how [his team] works.”

Q: How would you advise newcomers?

A: “I would say for new teams, they shouldn’t give up because they can’t get one question right from the first ten. You can definitely work your way up on the standings. Really they should try their best and have a good time with it, that’s really all we do.”

Third-place team from 2008

Location: Off Campus

Team Captain: Charles Cleary

Junior in history

Q: How did it feel to be one of the top winners last year?

A: “It was pretty exciting because we were one of the smaller and younger teams and we were pretty far off campus. I was very excited about our performance [last year].”

A: “From what I’ve heard, this year’s event will be much more extravagant than last year. Whatever it is, it sounds very exciting and it sounds like the scale of it this year will be much larger than last year.” Cleary said he is looking forward to the event because “there have been a lot of exchanges between the KURE staff and the Iowa State Risk Management staff,” which indicates a lot of adventure for this year’s event.

Q: How does it feel to be a part of something that has been around at Iowa State for so long?

A: “I think it’s fantastic. I’ve read about it and I think it’s great the way it has grown. The fact that so many people get so excited about it every year is great, despite it being decades old.”

Q: Why did you want to get involved with Kaleidoquiz?

A: “Personally, I got involved a few years ago by aAident when some friends of mine on a team needing a scavenger hunt item that I had. This will be my third year organizing a team, and I plan on being involved the rest of my time here at Iowa State.”

Q: How would you advise newcomers?

A:“I would suggest just being ready for anything. It’s probably best to join a team that already exists your first year.” Cleary said it can be hard for people to make a team without experienced participants because the novices will have no idea what to expect.