FISCHER: Is debt a problem?

Photo Illustration: Valerie Allen/Iowa State Daily

Valerie Allen

Daniel Fischer

As my last year at Iowa State begins to wind down, many of my peers have begun to talk about their future plans, which for most — even the excellent students — entails a very difficult job market. On top of this, the massive loan payments will be starting for these same future graduates in just a few months. The so-called “real world” is finally here.

According to the Access and Affordability Report issued by the Board of Regents, the average debt of Iowa State students is $31,501, compared to the national public four-year in-state average of $19,202.

The reality of this situation is daunting, but it should be comforting to students that helpful services, programs and tax credits are available. A few of the same questions always persist. Do you know where this help is? Are you learning about it early enough in your college career? And are you even looking for it?

Throughout the past year, many leaders on the Government of the Student Body have collaborated in hopes of helping students easily discover these tremendous resources. Students can find links to the Iowa State Financial Counseling Clinic and Office of Financial Aid for help finding scholarships, managing student loans and credit card debt, making a disciplined budget and answering any miscellaneous personal finance questions. Taxpaying students can find several links, including the Midwestern Disaster Relief Tax Credit, the Hope Scholarship and Lifetime Learning Credits. These programs have the potential to save students hundreds of dollars every year.

All of this information has been compiled at www.gsb.iastate.edu/debt, and I urge you to visit the site and the links regardless of whether or not you have debt. This information has the potential to help every student save money in both the short term and long run.

Although informing students of these resources is a primary purpose of this campaign, it is not the only one. In a time of high debt levels, low state funding and universities cutting budgets, it is important that people discuss these issues and think intelligently about what possible solutions lay on the horizon. By understanding the problem and services available, people will continue to find ways to reduce debt and improve the affordability of a tremendous education.

The Government of the Student Body has been constantly concerned with rising tuition and high debt for a number of years. The continuation of conversations and efforts by many years of vocal students attempting to advocate these issues surely makes a difference, slowly but steadily.

GSB will continue to discuss ways to improve access and affordability for years to come, and I encourage you to join the discussion!

– Daniel Fischer is the president of GSB and a senior in agricultural business.