Spreading the holiday cheer with two essential plays

Jeff Mason, junior in performing arts, as Scrooge in 'A Christmas Carol,' a production by Jane Cox. The play will run Dec. 5-7 and 12-14 in Fisher Theater. Photo: Shing Kai Chan/Iowa State Daily

Jeff Mason, junior in performing arts, as Scrooge in ‘A Christmas Carol,’ a production by Jane Cox. The play will run Dec. 5-7 and 12-14 in Fisher Theater. Photo: Shing Kai Chan/Iowa State Daily

Rachel Trampel – Daily Staff Writer

As the end of the year approaches, the holidays become the cheer that fills the air and the type of entertainment people look for. Family, friends and holiday traditions shared with loved ones will live on this year through the spirit of two well-known Christmas tales — ”A Christmas Carol” put on by ISU Theatre and “The Nutcracker Ballet,” an annual show by the Iowa State Center.

“A Christmas Carol”

“A Christmas Carol” is a timeless Christmas story with familiar characters and scenes that bring the spirit of the season to life.

With economic hardships faced by many this holiday season, more people may find themselves relating to Ebenezer Scrooge, who holds onto the security of money.

Jeff Mason, junior in performing arts, is playing the role of Scrooge, and said he relates to his character.

“Just that need for security. I think he likes to have that safety net of always having money. I can definitely relate to that,” Mason said.

As a child who was familiar with the play, Mason said he wanted to be part of a production people would want to attend as part of their holiday tradition, but give the audience a character with traits people can connect to on a personal level.

“It’s a classic story and I knew it would be one that people come to see. I was hoping to get the part of Scrooge — it’s a pretty interesting character, I’ve always thought,” Mason said. “I want people to see things they can relate to in him. I don’t want him to be that fictional person we think of.”

As a production that the ISU Theatre has put on in the past, this year, Jane Cox, director of Iowa State Theatre and director of “A Christmas Carol,” said each student actor will bring something different to this classic, well-known play.

“I think each cast in a role brings something different,” Cox said. “The characters have certain general characteristics — so you have those general characteristics. But each student actor who comes in brings his or her own take on those general characteristics.”

For a cast that has worked on the play since September, Cox said they hope when opening night arrives the audience will feel all the emotions they want them to feel regardless of whether nor not the audience is familiar with the play.

“The audience feels that they know those characters when they come in. They are not coming to it to find out what happens,” Cox said. “The hope always is that the audience will respond to the show. That they will be moved where you hope they will be moved, that they will laugh where you hope where they will laugh.”

“The Nutcracker Ballet”

“The Nutcracker Ballet” is a traditional dance performed at the Iowa State Center each year. This year it will be brought to life by over 300 performers from across central Iowa.

Ellen Mullen, lecturer in management, continues her own tradition of performing in “The Nutcracker Ballet” with her three daughters: Liz, 13, Leanna, 13, and Allie, 11.

Even though it is a well-known production, Mullen said each year something different brings a new perspective to the performance.

“The music and the dancing is all such a neat tradition for a lot of people, but at the same time each year we do something a little different than we’ve done before — the choreography gets changed a little or something new happens,” Mullen said. “You have different people in the parts and these people bring a different interpretation.”

Mullen started performing in “The Nutcracker Ballet” when it came to Ames in the ‘80s, and Mullen and her daughters decided to participate years later.

“We came back to Ames three years ago and decided to do it as a family which has been really fun,” Mullen said.

Mullen’s daughters said they’ve all been dancing since a young age and enjoy it because it’s a way they escape everyday life.

“It’s kind of a way to get away from school and stuff — and work,” Liz said.

Mullen and her daughters said the auditioning process is exciting and they try to make sure to stand out and make a good impression.

“I’ve always tried to wear a leotard that stands out and have a big smile on my face,” Leanna said.

Even though it’s a long waiting process to hear back from the auditions, Mullen said, the fun doesn’t stop until the end of the performances in December.

“It’s an intense two weeks waiting for the letters to come. There was a lot of screaming when we opened them,” Mullen said. “The excitement starts when the auditions happen and then it doesn’t end until the performances are over. It’s kind of electric or something.”

Mullen’s daughters said to be a part of “The Nutcracker Ballet” is overall a great experience.

“You get to meet a lot of new people,” Allie said. “When you’re dancing it’s just really cool.”

Liz agreed. “It’s like a second Christmas — it’s just such a blast,” she said.

“The Nutcracker Ballet”

When: 7:30 p.m. on Dec. 12 and 1:30 p.m. on Dec. 13 and 14

Where: Stephens Auditorium

Admission: $19, $17 for those 18 younger, ISU students and those 55 and older

“A Christmas Carol”

When: Fridays and Saturdays, Dec. 5 to 6 and 12 to 13 at 7:30 p.m. and Sundays, Dec. 7 and 14 at 2 p.m.

Where: Fisher Theater

Admission: $14 for adults, $12 for senior citizens and $7 for ISU students

Tickets can be purchased at the Iowa State Center Box Office, all Ticketmaster locations, or by calling 233-1888.