The work behind cheering

FYI_StephPrice025_LJG.tifStephanie Price, senior in Kinesiology and Health, has continued her path of cheerleading from high school through her years here at ISU, Wednesday, November 5, 2008. Photo: Logan Gaedke/Iowa State Daily

Logan Gaedke

Danielle Gibbons

Working out, two-and-a-half hour practices three times a week and fundraising — ISU cheerleading is a lot more than simply cheering at sporting events.

Stephanie Price, senior in kinesiology and health and member of the all-girl cheer squad, cheers for football and basketball and has been a part of the competition team for the last two years.

Price is a base, the person who remains in contact with the floor, lifting the flyer into a stunt.

Price has been on the all girl squad for all four years, but they have to tryout every year to make the squad again.

“I was so nervous every year,” Price said, “because it seemed like everyone kept getting better and better.”

To prepare for the games and competitions, the squad has practices three times a week, from 6:30–9 p.m. They are also required to work out three times a week for at least 45 minutes.

They also have to do four appearances throughout the year. At these appearances the squad talks to fans, does the fight song and tries to sell calendars and T-shirts.

Price tried out for the all-girl squad, which consists of 25 girls. It is part of the ISU Spirit Squad, which consists of the all-girl cheer squad, the co-ed cheer squad and the dance team.

Tryouts involve performing the fight song, toe-touch and a series of stunts, which can involve any skill involving tumbling, mounting, a pyramid or toss. Then, anyone who wants to can tumble.

Tumbling ranges from standing backhandsprings to more advanced tumbling passes. More points are awarded for the more difficult stunts and tumbling. When trying out for the all-girl squad, you may tryout as a flyer, side base or back spot.

The girls are notified of who made it at the end of the last day of tryouts.

“It was so nerve-racking,” Price said. “Everyone had great skill, and I had to compete against them for a spot.”

Some of Price’s fondest memories from ISU cheering include traveling to the big 12 tournament in Dallas. She also had a great time this year when they traveled to Las Vegas for the ISU vs. UNLV game.

“My favorite part is seeing all those fans staring at us and knowing that there’s at least one little girl with her eyes glued to me,” Price said.

The away games are split up between the all-girl squad, the co-ed squad and the dance team. The squad travels out of state for football games but they only cheer in-state basketball games.

When the squad has to fly, they fly in a private jet with the football team. For travel in-state, they take a charter bus.

The squad has to be at a football game four hours before it starts.

“We walk around the tailgating lots, talk to the fans and try to sell our calendars and T-shirts to raise money so that we can go to nationals,” Price said. They have to be at the basketball games an hour and a half before the games.

Iowa State’s competition team received second place one year and third place the other year. The first year they went to Minneapolis, Minn. to compete and last year they went to Chicago.

This year the competition is held in Daytona, Flo. Coach Allison DiBlasi hasn’t revealed who made the competition team yet, but Price is excited to find out.

Price said she’s blessed for the friends she has made and the people she has met while being part of the squad.

“The best part is that there’s always 25 girls there for you whenever you need it,” Price said. “We’re like a big family.”

Before Iowa State

Cheerleading has played a role in Price’s life since high school in Forest City. Price decided to try out for the Forest City cheer squad her freshman year.

The tryouts were held during Homecoming week, so Price had to submit a video tryout.

“I didn’t really have any intentions of making it,” Price said.

After the tryouts were over, the cheer coach e-mailed her, saying, “Congratulations, you made it.”

“I was kind of shocked at first,” Price said.

Price cheered for football and basketball games and was a member of the competition team. She has also competed in state competitions against other high schools.