LETTERS: Support Obama: vote early via satellite, absentee

Emily Eggleston

Early voting. Isn’t that illegal? Will my vote be counted? Why does it matter if I vote now or on Nov. 4? No. Yes. And let me clear that up.

If you’re supporting Barack Obama, you should cast your vote in the next four days. This campus has over 25,000 students on it and thousands of them are supporters. Obama campaign organizers and volunteers are working hard to mobilize all student supporters and the more of us who vote early the better. It makes sense to accomplish the goal — getting people to the polls — in increments rather than focusing all efforts on one day. By voting early you can choose the day, time and location that is most convenient for you, rather than waiting in line with the rest of Ames on Nov. 4.

Voting early is legit. A petition to the county auditor was signed for every early voting location. Satellite voting stations will be set up on campus Monday through Thursday this week and people can come fill out absentee ballots. It is a regular ballot with every candidate’s name and any registered voter can participate. If you’re not registered in Story County, you can register at the same time.

Tomorrow, Tuesday, there will be satellite voting in the Memorial Union from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Stop by and cast your vote early for Barack Obama and Joe Biden. It’s the easiest way to help the campaign. For all satellite voting locations on and around campus visit: ia.barackobama.com/isu.

Help get our country’s economy, foreign policy, environmental choices and health care system back on track. Vote early for change.

Emily Eggleston

Senior

Agronomy and environmental studies