EDITORIAL: Editorial Board: Keep Latham in Congress, working for students

Tom Latham.

Many of the student readers of this editorial can hardly remember a time when someone else represented Iowa’s fourth Congressional district.

Then again, they said similar things about Jim Leach in 2006.

Latham’s competition this year comes from Becky Greenwald, a mother of two from rural Perry, who has been active in the agricultural sector for many years, having been employed both by Garst Seed Company as well as Pioneer Hi-Bred. She has also been extremely active within the Dallas County Democratic Party, as well as the state party.

Since taking office in January 1995, Rep. Latham has missed a mere 82 votes — that’s less than one percent. That’s also something that is both admirable and refreshing in an era when campaigning seems to have overtaken the real work of governing.

On the issues, Rep. Latham is of a distinctly conservative stripe, however his voting record and an analysis of his positions uncovers a congressman who we believe, at heart, is in tune with his constituency. Indeed, the current configuration of District 4 encompasses an area of the state that has reliably voted for the Republican congressional candidate in every election for the last two decades. It only makes sense, then, that a right-of-center constituency would have a right-of-center congressman. Latham also boasts senior positions on various committees, sitting on the Appropriations Committee in various capacities, including as ranking member of the Subcommittee on Legislative Branch, as well as the agriculture subcommittee.

Many of the students reading this — and indeed most of the members of this editorial board — aren’t originally from District 4, so why should any of that matter?

Congressman Latham has showed an continuing commitment to higher education and education in general, supporting numerous bills on the subject, including the College Student Relief Act (H.R. 5), the College Access and Opportunity Act (H.R. 609), the Low Income Educational Scholarship Amendment (H.R. 4380), as well as the Student Loan Provision Changes (H.R. 5715). On multiple occasions, he has seen fit to cross party lines on common sense legislation — particularly so with regard to education, but elsewhere as well.

That’s not to say that Becky Greenwald couldn’t do the job. Indeed, when Latham was elected to Congress back in 1994, his previous experience — the agricultural seed industry and activity within the state party — was similar to Greenwald’s. Tom Latham, however, is a proven advocate for Iowa — something he has continually demonstrated. Bear in mind, as well, that the next congressional election in 2010 will involve newly redrawn congressional districts.

Very much in the footprint of Jim Leach and others before him, Tom Latham continues Iowa’s record of selecting quality individuals of character and understanding, who are in touch with their constituencies as well as the world and seek to do their jobs well — and that deserves our vote.