Food that help you focus

Jenon Katt

It may be tempting and convenient to reach for a bag of chips or a package of cookies for a quick study break, but choosing from a wide variety of healthier alternatives may boost energy and give the focus needed to study.

“Snacking is a great way to maintain energy levels and manage hunger and avoid overindulging, but making healthy choices is difficult especially when we are hungry,” said Janet Johnson, clinician in the department of food science and human nutrition.

There are many examples of healthy snacks for college students to have during study breaks and carry along with them throughout the day, Johnson said.

“All fruits are certainly great, but most can be very messy. Bananas, apples and grapes are easy to carry though,” she said.

Other healthy snack options she gave included carrots with hummus, string cheese, almonds and pretzels.

Johnson said students can also get creative with their healthy snacks by pre-packaging their own homemade trail mix.

At times, however, these healthy alternatives may not sound appetizing, so Johnson recommended satisfying cravings in a healthy way.

“If you are really having a sugar craving, two Fig Newtons or pre-packaged 100 calorie packs of Oreos are great alternatives,” she said.

Another great sugar-fix includes smoothies, which can be made according to the student’s taste.

Johnson said it is important to stay away from high fat or high calorie snacks but to remember “it’s all in moderation.”

Sometimes active college students do need extra calories, Johnson said, and a peanut butter sandwich is a great option for those people.

Johnson said it is important for college students to maintain adequate sleep amounts as well as exercise regularly to keep energy levels up and help promote healthy snacking. Students should also avoid skipping meals to achieve a healthy balance.

Amy Keller, senior in microbiology, said she takes time out of her studying schedule to eat snacks that are available and most convenient for her.

“I eat whatever I have in the room, which is usually pretzels or chocolate, but it is usually nothing too big,” Keller said. “I think fruits and vegetables would be the ideal snack choice, but I don’t buy a bunch of those. If I had a choice, I would go for those though.”

Keller said although she does not always get her hands on healthy snacks, she still thinks having a snack while studying is important.

“As soon as I get done eating, I am more focused,” she said.

Justin Vieth, sophomore in mechanical engineering, said eating snacks throughout long periods of studying also helps his concentration.

“I like to get things that keep me energized like coffee or a Monster Energy drink, but I try not to get greasy snacks that make me feel gross,” Vieth said. “If I stop and take a break from studying, get something to eat and then go back, I will learn more than if I would not have taken that break.”

SIDEBAR: A recipe for a banana smoothie from ISU Extension Service:

Banana Smoothie

You can make up your own variations using other fruits and juices.

1 small frozen banana, cut in chunks

1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt

1/4 cup orange juice

Put all ingredients in blender and whirl until smooth. These are fairly thick. Add more liquid if you want them thinner.

Makes two 1/2-cup servings.

Per serving: 125 calories, 7 grams protein, 213 mg calcium, 10 mg vitamin C