Veishea will bring in the guests

Carrie Boyd

Roll out the sleeping bags and get the weeks’ worth laundry off the floor – Veishea weekend will soon be here, and friends will be here to visit.

With hotel rooms out of many college students’ budgets, housing a temporary roommate or two at your residence is almost guaranteed.” said Claire Sloan, freshman in liberal arts and sciences-open option. “[They would] probably just crash someplace. A girl could stay at my sorority, but a guy? I wouldn’t know what to do with them.”

The weekend’s laid-back atmosphere and endless activity gives students opportunities to forget about the stresses of school and homework that usually mount during the spring months leading up to the end of the semester. Veishea also brings students from around the state to join in on the festivities.

“I plan on seeing some old friends at Iowa State and of course, meeting new people while at Veishea,” said Joe Fox, senior at Grinnell College. “I plan on relaxing, letting my studies take a back seat and maybe crack open a Bud Light or two.”

This isn’t Fox’s first Veishea visit, either.

“I have been to Veishea before – last year, in fact,” Fox said. “It was a great time – good music, good people, great atmosphere. I’m happy to [be coming] back for another year.”

Students with friends or family coming to visit might have to practice their best hospitality skills and open up their residence hall rooms or apartments to accommodate their guests.

“One of my favorite things about Veishea [last year was] the laid-back atmosphere – everyone is so relaxed and easygoing,” Fox said. “That made staying on or around campus easy because there are so many people willing to give up a spare bed or couch.”

Some visitors may be upset about the new wristband policy that may keep them outside the gates during the concerts on Friday and Saturday night.

“Honestly, I am not sure on the whole wristband policy, so I’m unsure about the whole concert situation,” Alex Kwikkel, junior at Hawkeye Community College. “I guess we’ll see when I get there.”

Veishea co-chairwoman Megan Todd, senior in marketing, said there are many opportunities at Veishea that your friends can participate in this weekend, including comedians, mass Campaniling, games, rides and the dirt bike show.

Some ISU students plan to entertain their guests by taking them around Ames for a more restful visit.

“We’re going to go shopping and just hang out,” said Jen Alley, junior in psychology. “We were planning on going to the concert, but not any more because I probably can’t get a wristband for her.”

Showing guests around campus and Ames could give them an accurate impression of what Iowa State and Veishea is all about.

“I would definitely give [my guests] a campus tour,” said Greg Leichty, freshman in pre-landscape architecture. “I like to show people why Ames is my favorite small city in Iowa.”

Leichty said that, although he isn’t planning on having guests come visit, he wouldn’t be surprised if some show up – and he’s not giving up his spot at the concert.

“They would have to entertain them themselves,” Leichty said. “I’m definitely getting a wristband. I love Eve 6, and I highly doubt there will be any left for visitors.”

Todd said the visitors are welcome, but guidelines need to be followed.

“We encourage them to come and follow all Iowa State policies and participate safely at our events while having fun,” Todd said. “Take responsibility for your friends. Show them what Iowa State is all about.”