Veishea presents faculty awards

Andrea Beisser

A handful of ISU faculty members were honored Wednesday night at the 2008 Veishea Faculty Award Ceremony.

Charles Dobbs, professor and chairman of history, was the guest speaker for the presentation. He said time spent outside of work and school creates the template for joy and diversity in life’s endeavors.

“Passion in life is so important for us to have,” Dobbs said. “Profound knowledge and great excitement in a certain area is a driving force that I have learned from those around me I admire.”

The event recognized eight faculty members, voted on by students, who exhibited passion in their professions and stood out to their students. Sara Marcketti, assistant professor of apparel, educational studies and hospitality management, received the award for the first time.

“I am thrilled to be recognized by the students, and my daily interaction with them is something I look forward to,” Marcketti said.

Ellen Mullen, lecturer in management, was previously nominated for the award, but this was her first time receiving it.

“It really is flattering to be recognized and neat to know this award is decided on by the students,” Mullen said.

The ceremony was organized by James Magill, freshman in industrial engineering, and Brooks Nelson, senior in public service and administration in agriculture.