Just exercise, it doesn’t matter when

Jenon Katt

Some get up at the break of dawn to work out while others wait until dusk, but does the time of day really affect an individual’s workout?

Warren Franke, associate professor of kinesiology, said an individual’s convenience and preference are top priorities when determining the optimal time to exercise and taking that into consideration will make it easier to maintain exercise as part of a healthy lifestyle.

“You want exercise to become a habit,” Franke said. “When first starting to exercise, doing so on a set schedule helps people stick to it. In terms of benefits or improvements, what time of day you work out doesn’t make that much of a difference.”

Despite the time at which one exercises not having an important impact on the physical benefits reaped, it may have other effects, depending on the individual.

“For some people, if they exercise late at night, they may have a hard time getting to sleep,” Franke said. “If that is the case, they are better served exercising during the day.”

In certain situations, the energy boost from a late night workout may be beneficial.

“If you know you need to be up studying late, it might be better to exercise later in the day. It will give you a better jump start to work later in the evening,” Franke said.

Some students prefer to exercise in the morning, which Franke said leaves them with psychological benefits.

“When people exercise in the morning they think, ‘I’ve got that done and out of the way and now have the rest of the day,'” he said.

When training for an event or following a fitness plan, it may be helpful to consistently work out at the same time each day, but Franke said exercise time should be chosen based on the individual’s preferences.

“Schedules are probably hectic, and finding time to exercise is tough,” he said. “If having a set time to exercise encourages you, you should do that. Or if you need the flexibility to fit it in wherever, that’s OK too.”

Stephanie Danforth, sophomore in dietetics, said she uses the flexibility approach and finds convenient times to work out depending on the day of the week.

“I don’t really have a specific time to work out because my schedule is different each day,” Danforth said.

Although she does not set an exact time, Danforth does prefer to work out in the daytime.

“I feel I have the most energy in the afternoon, a couple hours after lunch. It seems to be easier to have a better workout during that time,” she said.

Brian Smith, freshman in pre-business, also prefers exercising in the afternoon.

“After classes are done, I usually like to go workout around five, right before dinner,” Smith said. “After I work out, I’m not as hungry and don’t eat as much at dinner. It makes me feel healthy.”

Smith said having a set schedule is nice, but he allows for variation.

“I have a general time, but if something comes up, that’s OK too. I am a laid-back person, so I go with the flow when following a schedule,” he said.

No matter what the time circumstances, Franke said the decision is based on the student.

“When push comes to shove, you need to get it done, and it’s what works best for you,” Franke said.