Iowa State gives highest honor to 12 individuals and 3M Corp.

Andrea Beisser

Jim Wilson’s vaunted lyrics and the familiar tune of “The Bells of Iowa State” formed the theme that brought together an auditorium full of distinguished honorees and an audience of more than 250 people on Friday afternoon. Twelve individuals and one corporation were honored at the 2008 Distinguished Awards Celebration in Curtiss Hall.

The school song whispered softly during the short collection of speeches given by each award recipient as they outlined their experiences at Iowa State. Dating back to 1961, the Distinguished Awards are considered the university’s highest honors for alumni and friends. Presented during Veishea week, this year’s ceremony recognized a handful of outstanding contributors to Iowa State from their varied fields of expertise.

Iowa State opened the event as a string quartet composed of students from the Department of Music welcomed the audience.

“This ceremony is the highest award given to ISU alumni and seeks to recognize the exceptional work of faculty and friends of in areas of teaching, research and service to society,” said ISU President Gregory Geoffroy.

Corporate and Foundation Award

The 3M Corporation received the Order of the Knoll Corporate and Foundation Award, which given to a company that has demonstrated outstanding generosity toward Iowa State.

In 2005, 3M made the largest-ever corporate gift to the College of Engineering, totaling $500,000. This year, it has pledged to grant additional funding to bring the total to $1 million.

“3M and Iowa State have the common goal of preparing the best engineering leaders for the future by supporting education, research and learning facilities,” Geoffroy said.

Faculty/Staff Award

The Order of the Knoll Faculty/Staff Award went to Manjit K. Misra, founder and director of Iowa State’s internationally-recognized Seed Science Center. The Orissa, India, native came to the university in 1979 as an assistant professor and has been director of the Seed Science Center since 1991, elevating it to one of the world’s premier centers for seed research.

“I refer to Stephen Covey’s book, ‘The 8th Habit,’ when he says to live, learn, love and leave a legacy,” Misra said. “ISU’s legacy of service is where it excels, and the Seed Science Center currently has programs in over 70 countries, 30 of which are in Africa alone.”

The Seed Science Center is also home of the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s National Seed Health System, which is responsible for setting seed health tests and designing inspections that are used at the federal level to establish the country’s export regulations.

Cardinal and Gold Award

The Order of the Knoll Cardinal and Gold Award recognized two individuals who have devoted long-term service to Iowa State by directing their time and effort to helping the community and enhancing Iowa State’s reputation. Joan Urenn Axel, a 1964 alumna, and Arend “Sandy” Sandbulte, a 1959 alumnus, were honored for their work. Axel, an attorney and Muscatine resident, helped form the Carrie Chapman Catt Center for Women and Politics and the ISU Foundation Women and Philanthropy Committee.

“My friends and colleagues have been my champions,” Axel said. “I have worked diligently to try and honor deserving women at Iowa State and beyond.”

Sandbulte’s presence represented the support of friends and family in his accomplishments, which include serving as chairman of the ISU Foundation board of directors from 1999 to 2001 and being involved in many engineering committees. His lightheartedness spread to the audience.

“With all the discussions of border conflicts down South along the U.S. and Mexico territories, I would like to make the announcement that 22 undocumented Minnesotans crossed the Iowa border last night!”

Sandbulte’s humorous address reflected the passion he held for his family and peers that supported his involvement in the ISU Foundation legacy.

Honorary Alumni Award

The Honorary Alumni Award, established in 1968, is the highest award given to nongraduates of Iowa State who have made significant contributions to the university. Three recipients were honored including Donna Hoover, of Scottsdale, Ariz.; Karen Kolschowsky, of Oak Brook, Ill.; and Carl Vondra, of Ames.

Hoover and her husband Gary helped fund the construction of Hoover Hall, home of Iowa State’s engineering program.

Kolschowsky and her husband Gerald are best known for their help in creating the Center for Sustainable Rural Livelihoods, a program in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.

Vondra traveled the world in pursuit of geological exploration and earned his reputation as one of the most knowledgeable professors at Iowa State in geological science. His efforts helped establish a Iowa State geology field station near Shell, Wyo., which he directed until 2003.

Distinguished Alumni Award

Five individuals received the Distinguished Alumni Award, which is given to ISU alumni who have made both national and international contributions in their professions: Clayton Anderson, 1983 M.S. in aerospace engineering; David Drury, 1966 B.S. in mathematics; Charles Manatt, 1958 B.S. in rural sociology; Olive Mwihaki Mugenda, 1983 M.S. in family environment, 1988 Ph.D.; and Trudy Huskamp Peterson, B.S. in history and English.

Anderson was the first ISU graduate to venture into outer space. He presented Geoffroy with an ISU banner, hat and polo shirt which he wore while orbiting Earth.

“Anderson is a true example of an individual who followed their dreams,” Geoffroy said.

Drury worked as an actuary and was named president of Principal Financial Group in 1993, helping it become a Fortune 500 leader.

“I have always looked to the future,” Drury said. “Iowa State has helped me recognize hard work, talent and honesty in my pursuits.”

Former GSB president Charles Manatt worked as an attorney and was later appointed by President Bill Clinton in 1999 as the U.S. ambassador to the Dominican Republic. He addressed his hopes for the future at Iowa State.

“We need to make higher education more accessible, affordable – and make sure it fits into the modern world we live in,” Manatt said.

Mugenda lives in Nairobi, Kenya, and has worked diligently to improve the quality of education in the African country.

“This award doesn’t just honor me,” Mugenda said. “It honors all those at Kenyatta University and the students who are able to pursue education in Kenya.”

Peterson touched on her experiences in Iowa State’s International Farm Youth Exchange Program and how her trip to a Finland farming community enhanced her education.

“Iowa State taught me to write a clear sentence, think analytically and write accurately,” Peterson said.

She was appointed to the post of acting archivist of the United States during the Clinton administration.

True and Valiant Award

A new award, the True and Valiant Award, recognized former Pioneer HI-Bred executive vice president Owen J. Newlin, 1951 B.S. in agronomy, 1953 M.S. Geoffroy presented the Des Moines resident with a bell commissioned by John Taylor and the English company of Loughborough, which fathered the first collection of the university’s Campanile bells in 1899.