ISU, NICC partnership one in chain of alliances

Andrea Beisser

The signing of Northeast Iowa Community College to Iowa State University’s Admissions Partnership Program marks another step for the university toward its goal of incorporating every community college the state into the program.

A study done by the Iowa Board of Regents in fall 2007 revealed that students who transferred from Iowa community colleges after completing an associate of arts degree had higher one-year retention and four-year graduation rates.

Statistics show that 85.7 percent of community college transfer students using the university’s APP returned for a second year at Iowa State after earning an associate degree, compared to 76.6 percent of native students without a degree.

Also, 66.8 percent of students who earned an associate degree before attending Iowa State graduated within four years, compared to 58.3 percent of native students within the same time period. The recent signing of NICC to the expanding list of APP members is a sign that President’s Geoffroy’s goals are on track. The president and university leaders hope to have all of Iowa’s community colleges signed by the end of the academic year.

“Iowa State enrolls more community college students than any other institution in the state,” said Larry Ebbers, professor of educational leadership and policy studies.

“The president and admissions staff are actively recruiting community college representatives to Iowa State to learn about incentives and opportunities offered by the Admissions Partnership Program,” he said.

Ebbers helped with the Board of Regents study and echoed its conclusions.

“Students who begin post-secondary education in a community college and transfer more than 10 credits have a better than 62 percent bachelor’s degree completion rate, which compares well with completion rate of 74 percent for students who begin at four-year institutions and earn less than 10 credits from community colleges,” he said

The president and the university relations committee hold a one day summit in May to encourage community college representatives to join the APP. The initiative currently lists nearly twenty community colleges and is rapidly expanding as the president travels around the state to encourage participation.

“We are hopeful that all colleges will sign by the end of the academic year,” said Diane Vengtson, assistant director of transfer admissions at ISU.

“Signing requires the president to be in attendance at the college, and time is really the only factor that makes joining difficult,” she said. “There is no extra cost to the college.”

The APP allows students to complete their associate degrees at a community college, then transfer to Iowa State to earn a bachelor’s degree. A student receives guidance counseling at both the community college and Iowa State at the beginning of the program to help direct credit evaluation and the transfer process. They also have access to Iowa State’s library, recreational facilities and student housing while enrolled in the transfer program.

“Students typically choose their major at the community college and then transition to the university upon completion of their AA degree,” Ebbers said. “The statistics collected by the Board of Regents study show their success in graduation from Iowa State after transfer, receiving the AA degree from a community college,” Ebbers said. He commented on possible reasons for their high retention and graduation rates.

“Community college students have well-developed study skills, good time management and are highly motivated,” he said.

Ebbers worked alongside the transfer admissions staff to develop a common course numbering system to expedite the transfer process from the community college to the university.

“We made it so that English 101, for example, is the same at community college and at Iowa State,” he said.

“This exists between Iowa State and all the listed community colleges in the partnership program.”

Des Moines Area Community College (DMACC) was the first to initiate the opportunity for students and, with the aggressive work of President Geoffroy and Iowa State, many more continue to follow.