Experience vs. change in GSB race

Ross Boettcher

Two opposite ends of the spectrum revealed themselves as the Government of the Student Body hosted its second presidential debate Monday night.

A crucial exchange between the duo of Daniel Fischer, GSB director of government relations and senior in agricultural business, and Maggie Luttrell, ex-officio City Council liaison and senior in history, and that of Ryan Crampton, GSB senator and junior in political science, and Jeff Edwards, senior in finance, took place at the tail end of the debate where the viewpoints of both parties were clearly outlined.

In the end, Crampton and Edwards emerged as the ticket that is “dreaming big” and would “challenge the status quo” for GSB, while Fischer and Luttrell are looking to cash in on their advantage in GSB involvement and experience.

During their closing remarks, Crampton said GSB needs to look toward the big picture and strive toward goals that are bigger than those that have been set before them in previous years.

“We have big expectations for the Government of the Student Body and ourselves,” Crampton said. “A lot of our ideas are new challenges. We’re going to be working hard to work through these challenges.”

In a direct counter-remark, Fischer said some of Crampton and Edwards’ ideas and goals are “not feasible.” He said he and Luttrell would strive toward attainable goals during their term.

“I think it comes down to who can do the best job fundamentally,” Fischer said. “We’re not going to promise you the world, but we’re going to promise you the best job in the roles that should be addressed by the Government of the Student Body.”

One idea Fischer and Luttrell directly opposed was a beginning-of-the-year concert that was proposed by Crampton and Edwards. They feel as if an event at the beginning of the year to keep student spirit high would help link together both Homecoming and Veishea.

“This is something that would be fun, but not feasible,” Fischer said. “This event would take money from other student organizations and I don’t think the avenue of fundraising is possible.”

One issue that resounded throughout the Maintenance Shop of the Memorial Union during the debate was that of finances. Whether it was student organizations seeking funding, the funding process itself or tuition hikes, both pairs had comparable statements on all issues.

A key difference between the candidates on most GSB issues was experience.

Although Crampton and Edwards are both active members of the Inter-Fraternity Council, Fischer and Luttrell have both held cabinet positions on GSB as director of government relations and City Council liaison, respectively.

When it came down to electability, Fischer and Luttrell spoke about the support they have obtained from current GSB members and university officials, a fact Crampton immediately discarded.

“We are looking for the endorsement of the student body, not from GSB,” Crampton said.

In regard to the university administration, Crampton said that unless students are actively involved and want to make their voice heard, Iowa State’s administrators won’t take notice.

Both tickets proved that they have different goals and ambitions and presidential and vice-presidential candidates, but in the end, it was clear that two different futures for GSB were presented.

“Part of our solution is really having a long-term plan and working on the future of GSB,” Crampton said.

On the flip-side of the coin, Luttrell referenced, on more than one occasion, the goals that she and Fischer would be able to accomplish “during their one-year term as student body president and vice president.”