‘I want [the audience] to be uncomfortable’

Amanda Molitor

Vagina is typically not a word that is used in everyday conversation. Actually, the proper name for a woman’s nether regions is rarely used in conversation at all.

Making the word “vagina” easier to talk about is what the “The Vagina Monologues” hopes to accomplish.

“The Vagina Monologues,” is set to be performed in the Durham Great Hall of the Memorial Union and is sponsored by the Margaret Sloss Women’s Center, Vagina Warriors and the Student Union Board.

Written by Eve Ensler, “The Vagina Monologues” is a play that discusses women’s sexuality in all its aspects; it includes everything from childbirth to nicknames for privates to sexual abuse, assault and mutilation.

“I want [the audience] to be uncomfortable,” said Penny Rice, director of the Women’s Center.

“This is not a topic the general public wants to talk about.”

This is the fourth time “The Vagina Monologues” will be performed at Iowa State. It was first presented in 1999 by faculty and staff; the play was then not performed for several years. However, three years ago the Women’s Center reprised the play in honor of V-Day.

V-Day is celebrating its tenth year as an organization in over 81 countries that is determined to stop violence against girls and women. Celebrities such as Julia Stiles and Oprah Winfrey offer support for V-Day, which is celebrated worldwide on Feb. 14.

The Women’s Center first became involved with V-Day because of the “backlash women received about their vaginas and sexuality, issues that keep women from being powerful today,” Rice said.

A significant amount of the money that is raised from the performances of “The Vagina Monologues” goes toward V-Day campaigns, which work to end female mutilation, rape and abuse.

The process of finding women to audition for the play was easier than expected. Beginning in November, “we posted fliers, and anyone who showed up got a part,” said Val Erwin, graduate student and producer of “The Vagina Monologues.”

“We have some actors from previous casts and new actors.”

There were no requirements for auditioning, which means women from many majors other than women’s studies and theater are participating. The play also features two community alumni members.

Although many of the scenes in the play have a humorous note, Rice believes the more important pieces “hurt” because issues of female sexuality then become important to others.

Rice found that after previous performances of “The Vagina Monologues” audiences were anxious to make a difference.

“We will have lots of resources after the show,” Rice said.

“There will be a pre- and post-performance survey, as well as a table where students can learn about classes, student organizations and volunteer organizations.”

In Ames, the rest of the money raised from the performances of “The Vagina Monologues” will go to the Assault Care Center Extending Shelter and Support, or ACCESS, a local center for domestic violence and sexual assault. In order to help raise extra money, the Women’s Center will be selling chocolate vaginas to audiences.

Both women hope that everyone who leaves the show feels determined to make a difference.

“I want people to come away with empowerment and more understanding,” Erwin said.

Rice agreed. “I want people to realize that realize you don’t treat women that way, and I want them to be uncomfortable so they don’t tolerate [violence against women] anymore.”

Another important part of performing “The Vagina Monologues” is getting students and faculty to realize that abuse and assault against women happens in Ames.

According to statistics provided by the Women’s Center, between Dec. 19 and Jan. 31, there have been 91 requests for service and support.

On the other hand, the Women’s Center doesn’t deal solely with sexual assault; people are also available to talk about academic, personal and family issues.

“The Vagina Monologues” will be performed Thursday and Friday in the Durham Great Hall of the Memorial Union. Performances begin at 7 p.m. and tickets can be purchased for $10 at the M-Shop ticket office.