New position created during faculty senate meeting after parley

Andrea Beisser

With a 34-23 vote, the ISU Faculty Senate approved the creation of a nontenure-eligible research position at its meeting Tuesday in the Durham Great Hall in the Memorial Union.

The decision concluded an hour-and-a-half-long intense debate over the issue. Tenured faculty currently hold the majority of research positions, but their numbers are not great enough to meet demand in light of growing research opportunities. In addition, Iowa State is experiencing a loss of tenured faculty.

“The real issue Iowa State University faces is restoring the loss of 223 tenured and tenure-track faculty,” said Executive Vice President and Provost Elizabeth Hoffman, contributing to the meeting by telephone from Denver.

Addition of the new position would allow faculty members without tenure to participate actively in research and advance in university status. Such faculty members would also be able to receive increased grant funding and be appointed to ranks of assistant, associate or full research professor.

Hoffman encouraged those in attendance to consider adding the NTER position.

“The key agenda item for today is to vote on the resolution to establish a new set of faculty appointments to be funded completely from nonuniversity sources,” Hoffman said.

“This is an historic step for Iowa State to take, and I know many of you have deep reservations about making this change. Introduction of new research faculty does not diminish existing tenure-track faculty, but rather enhances our ability to recruit faculty who could enhance the productivity and stature of our tenured faculty.”

The senate members speaking in support of creating an NTER position emphasized how new research faculty would diversify and enhance the future of research at Iowa State.

“The future of our university depends on investing in research, and one way of doing it is increasing faculty with notable research successes,” said Bruce Thompson, distinguished professor for the Center for Nondestructive Evaluation.

He further explained that students’ education was crucial and that a “soft money” position, under which an NTER position would exist, allows a greater pool of recruitment to meet educational goals.

Other senate members emphasized that an NTER position would draw those with unusual talents to Iowa State’s faculty research staff.

“Those who can’t pursue the tenure-track position shouldn’t be excluded from research opportunities,” said Catherine Kling, professor of agricultural science and economics.

Members of the senate opposed to creating the position felt that such a position would create a nontenured faculty and degrade the value of holding a professorship.

“We need leaders in the field of research, as defined by the position of tenure, and allowing an NTER position would contribute to the diminishing number of tenure-track faculty,” said Jack Girton, professor in biochemistry, biophysics and molecular biology and zoology and genetics. “There will be a desire to use this as a substitute for tenured professors, and ISU is cutting its tenured faculty already.”

Many in opposition felt that tenure is about granting academic freedom and that allowing nontenured professorships creates a “transient gypsy faculty.”

The issue was hotly debated by faculty members for 45 minutes with the floor open to voices of opposition and support.

“I’m tired!” said Faculty Senate President Sedahlia Crase, professor of human development and family studies. “But we’ve been discussing it since April, and the decision made today is an important step for the Senate.”