ISU professor gains national recognition for study of primates

Ross Boettcher

Iowa State’s anthropology department has received national recognition through the efforts of one of its faculty members.

Jill Pruetz, associate professor of anthropology, has been named one of National Geographic’s Emerging Explorers for her work in Senegal, where she has been studying the patterns of primates and their use of tools in hunting.

Pruetz said that although there are more prestigious awards to be had, to be named an Emerging Explorer is a title she holds in high esteem because of her relationship with the organization.

“To me, it’s one of the highest honors because I grew up with National Geographic,” Pruetz said. “They’ve always been very supportive of my work, and now they are very interested in the chimps and in helping us conserve the chimps there.”

Her study of primates has certainly been a primary focus, but Pruetz will be making national appearances on NBC’s “Today Show” on Monday and again on PBS, where her documentary “Ape Genius” will air at 7 p.m. Tuesday.

Pruetz said she plans on using the national stage to open up on not only her studies, but also on human conservation in Senegal and the interaction between humans and chimpanzees in that region.

“It’s interesting because I’ve focused on primates, and that was my plan when I went to Senegal, but then I saw this really unique situation outside the national park, and you don’t always see that in Africa,” she said.

“I’m very much interested in how the people and chimps interact in conflict as well as a lack of conflict.”

While she has been nearly half a world away from Ames, Pruetz has still been in direct contact with students. To help educate those at Iowa State about her studies, Pruetz is teaching Anthropology 350X/550X, an online course that includes live video feeds and observation of chimpanzees. Pruetz said a pair of students from Canada and one from Australia have also taken part in her class by means of the ISU distance education program.

“One of the most helpful things to me is to have students who are actually interested,” Pruetz said.

“I always welcome students who are interested – there are all kinds of things that can be done with this study.”

Some of the areas other than anthropology in which students have gotten involved with Pruetz’s project are the studies of folklore, horticulture and native gatherings.

Paul Lasley, chairman of anthropology and sociology, said Pruetz’s accomplishments will certainly bring credibility to the anthropology department and Iowa State as a whole.

“It’s wonderful, for the department, for the scholarship, and it’s wonderful for Iowa State to have this kind of recognition,” Lasley said.

“This will instill pride, but it’s also is important for attracting future students and it makes us more visible in the grant-seeking area.”

Lasley reinforced his and the rest of the anthropology department’s feelings for Pruetz simply by saying “we’re very proud of her.”

Pride aside, Pruetz knows she isn’t finished uncovering significant material within her current studies.

“Hopefully what I learn from these chimps can help inform us more about the very earliest human ancestors, who lived in a very similar environment,” Pruetz said.

“You can’t ever be conclusive – you can come up with hypotheses that could perhaps be tested.”