Opportunies abound in exchange programs

Carrie Boyd

Whether they want to travel around the world or stay right here in Ames, students at Iowa State have a number of opportunities to see the world from new academic and cultural perspectives.

National StudentExchange program

For students wanting to study “abroad” without leaving the comfort of the United States, the National Student Exchange program offers the opportunity for college students to study out of state on campuses across the country.

The program boasts “nearly

200 colleges and universities from which to choose,” according to its Web site.

Alexandra Roenfeld, junior in hotel, restaurant and institution management, is enrolled in the National Student Exchange program and is studying at the University of Nevada-Las Vegas.

“Since I am an HRI major, I knew that I would be able to take many more in-depth classes here that would help me specifically for event planning,” Roenfeld said.

The exchange program has also recently expanded to include some Canadian colleges and universities.

Before shipping out, students must fill out an application, write an essay and meet with a program coordinator in a placement meeting to secure the school of choice, Roenfeld said.

Study Abroad programs

Many students take advantage of the opportunity to leave the U.S. and immerse themselves in a different country and culture.

According to the ISU Fact Book, approximately five percent of Iowa State students study abroad during the academic year.

“I really wanted to have the semester to travel around Europe, because this is the easiest time in my life to do that,” said Jesse Erickson, junior in electrical engineering, who is studying at the University of Leicester in Leicester, England.

Although learning a new language in England is not a necessity, Erickson said there are a lot of differences from American culture.

“Classwork is a lot different,” Erickson said.

“About 70 to 80 percent of your grade is based on one exam you take at the end of the term. There aren’t really much for homework assignments. There are bars in each residence hall, too.”

Most study abroad programs require filling out an application, writing essays, and sending recommendation letters and transcripts before acceptance into the program and foreign university.

International Students and Scholars program

In the fall of 2007, 2244 international students were enrolled at Iowa State, according to the ISU Fact Book.

The application process and transition from any of the 106 represented countries can be a long and arduous process.

The Friendships International English Conversation programs are used to help orient international students and scholars to Iowa State, Ames and American culture.

Friendships International pairs international students with Ames-area residents or ISU students. The pairs meet occasionally to provide international students with a friend in the area.

The English Conversation program provides international students with opportunities to practice and improve their English conversation skills.

The group is also open to native English speakers to learn more about international cultures.

International Student Advisers work with the International Students and Scholars office to assist “with maintenance of immigration status, U.S. employment regulations, and provide support with social, cultural, financial and personal concerns,” according to its Web site.