Reader ready to go after redshirt season

Luke Plansky

Freshman wrestler Jon Reader lost his first collegiate tournament when he was in high school.

As a high school senior, Reader competed in the 2005 Harold Nichols Cyclone Open, reaching the 157-pound championship match to face future 2007 NCAA champion Trent Paulson.

Reader lost 10-6, but took Paulson down. He went on to go 60-0 during his senior season, at one point pinning 54 straight opponents before winning his third Michigan state title.

This season, the freshman starts at 165 pounds for the ISU wrestling team. Reader is described as one of the hardest workers on the team by other wrestlers, including Paulson, who finished his career with the NCAA title in March.

“He worked out with me almost every single day last year,” Paulson said. “And no matter how hard we were going, he is always asking questions. He kind of has that never-satisfied attitude. He is willing to pay the price to get where he wants to go – I don’t think there is anything he can’t do as long as his mind is right and he is healthy. He could do it all.”

One of the top recruits in the nation coming out of high school, Reader is one of only three freshmen to be ranked in any weight class in the top 20 Intermat (ninth) or W.I.N magazine (17th) rankings.

He will start this season at 165 pounds.

“I just told myself every day, I’m going to go to my opens, and I’m going to do well, but I mean, it’s my redshirt year,” Reader said. “I’m going to make Trent Paulson a national champ, or at least try.”

Trent and Travis Paulson are now the strength and conditioning coaches for the wrestling team. Trent said they look at Reader as their protege.

“[Reader] helped me out a lot,” Trent said. “Usually, if you are wrestling a guy and you are kind of beating on him, he doesn’t want to wrestle you again. But if I’d have a day where I kind of got him, he would come back for more every single time. It didn’t matter – he was always positive. He was always asking me how he could help . he did as much as he could for me, that’s why this year Travis and I are trying to do what we can for him.”

Head coach Cael Sanderson said Reader is “exactly the type of student athlete” he wants in the program.

“I expect him to make an immediate impact, and I know his goals are to be a national champion this year,” Sanderson said. “And he’s going to be real competitive.”

Cyler Sanderson (157), Reader’s roommate, said he expects Reader to be a crowd pleaser.

Heavyweight David Zabriskie said he didn’t get to watch Reader much in live competition, but has liked what he’s seen in tapes and practice.

“I have a ton of confidence in Jon. He’s tough. He’s going to give every guy in the country a hard time,” said Zabriskie, who won a Big 12 Championship his freshman year. “He’s going to go after them, and he’s not going to let up.

Travis Paulson said Reader will contend for a national title this season, and thinks the same attitude that allowed him to compete with Trent will carry him far.

“That’s what it’s about, not being afraid to wrestle anyone,” Travis said. “Stepping it up, it doesn’t matter how old you are, you can wrestle anybody . he’ll step up time and time again, and that’s huge.”

Jon Reader

2006-07 redshirt season

Placed fifth at the Nebraska Kaufman-Brand Open, but was pinned by No. 1 ranked Johnny Hendricks. Placed seventh at the Midlands Open, upsetting Indiana’s NCAA qualifier Mike Dean and American University NCAA qualifier Mike Cannon.

High school

Reader had an overall record of 234-6 and was a three-time Michigan state champion (2004 – 135 pounds; 2005 – 152 pounds; 2006 – 160 pounds). He tied former Michigan State standout Nick Simmons’ consecutive pins record during his senior year, pinning 54 straight opponents. He won the 2006 Greco-Roman and freestyle Junior National titles and was named the meet’s outstanding wrestler. He followed teammate Jake Varner as the 2006 Wade Schalles award winner for the nation’s top pinner. Reader was the only high schooler competing in the 2005 Harold Nichols Cyclone Open, beating UNI NCAA qualifier Moza Fay before losing to four-year ISU starter Trent Paulson, 10-6.