More faces in the crowd

Brian Hooyman

It already adds 100,000 new members per day, totaling a 3 percent per week increase, and has plans to get even bigger.

Less than a year after Facebook opened to everyone with an e-mail address, it continues to strive toward becoming the premier social site of the Internet by letting any user create their own application.

Facebook chief executive Mark Zuckerburg said at the San Francisco Design Center that the Facebook Platform allowing users to make their own application is another stride in Facebook’s goal to become a “social operating system.”

Not only can users create applications, but some businesses, such as music social network iLike and humor Web site www.collegehumor.com, are entering into Facebook’s new venture.

Emily Jones, graduate student in aerospace engineering, resents these changes and longs for the old days of Facebook.

“I liked it better when it was for just college students,” Jones said. “It weirded me out when a kid I used to baby-sit for sent me a friend request; plus potential employers seeing photos of me which my friends have posted on Facebook. They don’t need to see that.”

Some students see Facebook as “balancing on thin ice.”

Michael Alexander, junior in chemical engineering, hasn’t really noticed any of the Facebook changes, but does note this heed of caution.

“I just think if it doesn’t turn into MySpace, we’re OK,” Alexander said.

Facebook users are no longer just confined to updating one’s status or profile pictures. This “social operating system” is now allowing its users to listen to music, recommend music to others, review book inserts, play games and join in on charity drives, all from the comfort of their home computer chair.

Terry Besser, professor of agricultural sociology, remains somewhat leery of these new Facebook movements.

“Those who use Facebook, and sites like it, are missing out on the nonverbal communication clues that people encounter in everyday life,” Besser said.

Adam Fraser, senior in accounting, said he is particularly annoyed by these new “social operating” changes Facebook has “improved” on.

“It’s bad,” Fraser said. ” Facebook is becoming more like MySpace. I wish it was simple, like it used to be. We don’t need these horoscopes and stuff that people are sending out.”

Businesses are also getting in on this new revamp. Facebook is opening its doors to businesses via the Facebook Marketplace.

The marketplace helps both Facebook and the participating business to bring in a profit. Users are also able to get into the action by posting products they wish to sell on the marketplace.

One notable supplier to college students across the nation is www.campusfood.com. This food provider Web site has been reported to soon allow its users to order food via Facebook.

CampusFood declined to answer any questions about any agreement they might make with Facebook, since the deal is not yet finalized.