Students’ resumes come out for repair

Brian Hooyman

As we get closer to starting another year of school, many students are preparing their portfolios to apply for an internship.

Carolyn Ersland, career services coordinator in the department of human sciences, lends some key points of wisdom for students applying for any spring internships.

Ersland said to be honest with any previous job experiences and list everything, even if it was a long time ago.

“Anything you provide on your resume is fair game for employers to question you about during your interview process,” Erland said. “Be sure you feel comfortable talking about your experiences and be able to give examples of what you learned from those experiences.”

She also stressed how one should tailor their resume to be directed toward the specific job in which they are seeking.

Ersland urges students to spell check again and again.

“Typos and spelling errors are two of the biggest mistakes that people make,” Ersland said.

Patricia Johansen, graduate student-undeclared, is attending classes to strengthen her chances in the teaching job market.

Johansen has had a teaching career in the Jefferson-Scranton Community School District, but is looking to broaden her options.

“Job experience, education and relevant skill are the main three I feel that perspective employees need to have on their resume,” Johansen said.

Melinda Schminke, records analyst for the College of Veterinary Medicine, points out students “get too wordy” at times.

“Trying to describe rather than stating the exact facts can hurt you in your resume,” Schminke said.

She said that using words such as “I” or “me” are more for your cover letter and not for the resume itself.

Assistance with one’s resume can be found at the Office of Career Services in 351 Catt Hall.